1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pentium D - SIngle core?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cullingsong, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cullingsong

Cullingsong Thread Starter

Ok, I'm running a Pentium D 920 on this motherboard

http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/board.php?name=I945G-M7

I can't get dual core processing to work. It shows it in the Post, and no, I can't enable it in the CPU history in the task manager. It just won't work. I've upgraded my bios, there are two different ones on the web site and I've tried them both. I've been reading all over the net, and I can't find ANYTHING about this. I found some similar stuff with ATHLON 64 x2 but all the solutions don't help or are bios specific. Ei...there is nowhere in my bios to 'enable dual cpu' ect....

please help me out here!

oh, and I'm running windows xp 64
    d.

2. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

I think it's because you have a Pentium D and the board only supports a Celeron D.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    His motherboard does support the Pentium D processors.

Did you install Windows with that CPU installed or did you upgrade to it after installing on a Single core processor?

4. obvious

obvious

Could be the PSU being too weak. I presume that it was an upgrade from a similar single core CPU?

Intel dual core CPU's do draw a heck of a lot more power (the increase is a lot more when compared to an AMD athlon64X2).

But when you say "dual core processing", what are you trying to do? and with what software? If it's games, then you're out of luck, heck most things don't take advantage of dual processing yet.

Give it time, you jumped on a might early!

5. WarC

WarC

Yeah, it should be working for you. You might want to reinstall Windows XP.

If you still have problems, you might want to use the 32 bit version of XP instead of the 64 bit version.

In every benchmark I've seen, 64 bit processing still yields little or no difference in terms of performance...So you won't be significantly losing out by going back to 32 bit processing if need be.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I agree on the advice for standard XP. I have an MSDN subscription, so I could run any version of Windows I like, and I've never even tried the 64 bit version, it isn't worth the time for me.

7. Cullingsong

Cullingsong Thread Starter

thanks for the ideas, it was a new install with a new motherboard and hard drive. So it installed windows with the new chip in. It's a not a program issue right, I just should be able to see it in the task manager, and I should even be able to assign programs to be run by a specific processor (or core). I'll try putting up a windows 32 bit version.

thanks.

anymore ideas?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've run Windows Pro x64, and it truely isn't worth the time at the present. Its not any faster and some drivers and software just don't work or don't work properly. ATI Catalyst and Linksys drivers are an issue for me.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Thanks for testing that for me, saved me the trouble. :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice