1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pentium m socket 478 with desktop mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XSkylerX, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XSkylerX

XSkylerX Thread Starter

Happy weekend!

It's time for me to upgrade one of my older computers, but I don't have too much money to spend, so I'm trying to make a decent computer with a little bit of money.

My current computer:
    Socket 423 Intel Motherboard
    1.8GHz Pentium 4
    1GB Toshiba PC800

My idea was to either get a 423 -> 478 adapter, but the prices were better to just get a new mobo.

So what I'm going to get this motherboard (probably wont buy it from there though)

Now for a cpu, i preferred a 3GHz Pentium 4. Now I noticed that all of the 3.0GHz Pentium 4s had a 512kb L2 Cache, but Pentium 4 Ms had 1MB L2 caches. But would a Pentium 4 M work with this motherboard? And I don't think that this motherboard supports Hyper-Threading does it?

Thanks!:D

2. brite750

brite750

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/08/30/performance_injection/

3. brite750

brite750

IMO this is really not worth doing but thats me.
    the adapter vendor should be able to tell you what cpuz will work, if not then you will have to contact intel for what thats worth

4. XSkylerX

XSkylerX Thread Starter

the adapter would work, but i think at this point a whole new motherboard would be better, simply because of performance and also compatibility.
    id like to get this one, http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/mv2/
    and what's the deal with Pentium 4 M processors, they're for mobile stuff but will they also work in desktops? and are do they have lower performance or something? And will Hyper-Threading make a huge difference in games and apps? And with 1MB L2 cache vs. 512k?

5. XSkylerX

XSkylerX Thread Starter

here's the cpu I was planning on using:
    Pentium 4

6. brite750

brite750

i guess i dont understand what you are doing, why are you buying such old tech

7. brite750

brite750

it seems to me you are trying to save that gig of rambus and imo is just not worth it, if you dump that ram you can get a more modern mb/cpu/ram, at least an intel dual core although unless you buy a Core2duo cpu you should seriously look at an amd setup, AMD-64 x2 cpuz are much better than anything intel has out there other than the new C2D stuff

8. brite750

brite750

with and agp card you can even go amd 939 socket with a single core A64 cpu and some DDR-400, very cheap right now and would blow the doors off an intelP4

9. brite750

brite750

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

You can't use that processor with the D850EMV2L. The processor you are looking at has a Prescott core and that board does not support Prescott. Also, the mobile processors use a different chipset than the desktop machine.

That particular board also uses RDRAM (RAMBUS) memory and although you can find new RAMBUS memory it is generally quite expensive. Most of the RAMBUS that you see for sale are "pulls" from old machines.

If you want a socket 478 board I would look around for a D875PBZ or D865PERL board. Both boards use SDRAM and both boards with later AA numbers will support Prescotts.

Basically for for a few more dollars than you would spend for that board and buying RAMBUS you could buy a DG965RYCK board, 1 Gig of Crucial DDR2 PC2-6400 and a single core Pentium 4 631 (3.0Ghz. Cedar Mill Core), all about $250 + shipping. This board leaves plenty of room for upgrades it has a PCI-e slot, and will support Core 2 Duos

11. brite750

brite750

I think this poster already has the 1gig of rambus and agp gfx card and just wants to up grade to a 478 socket so they can get a 3ghz P4 is the way I'm reading it, just dont see where its worth it to hang on to rambus or an old ATI9550 card

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

brite, the best he could do would be to get a P4 3.06Ghz. 533Mhz. FSB, but that particular processor commands a premium price since it was the only 478 with a 533FSB that supported HyperThreading.

HyperThreading wouldn't do him any good through since the 850E chipset doesn't support HyperThreading.

He would see some improvement with the Northwood core over the Williamette core he now has, but to me it just wouldn't be worthwhile. A new 478 P4 3.06Ghz. with a 533FSB sells anywhere from around $160-$200 and he still wouldn't have HyperThreading.

13. brite750

brite750

that makes this upgrade even more crazy, some times stuff is just too old to mess with. I'll let you spec any intel stuff, their system gives me a headache. the only other problem poster will run into is trying to use new stuff in and old case/psu, by the time you get done you'll be buying a whole new pc. A lot of MB's only include 1 PATA connection, so if you have a couple of hdd and a couple of CDrom type drives your stuck buying an ide card or a new sata hdd or whatever.

14. XSkylerX

XSkylerX Thread Starter

Alright, so I see what you guys are saying. Trying to buy the old stuff just isnt worth it, basically. My only problem is that I don't have a whole lot of money, I'm a sophomore in high school lol.
    You're right about me wanting to keep the rambus, but i understand why i should get rid of it. I added up how much I could get for my system if I sold of the motherboard, cpu, graphics card, and ram individually, and i found that I could get about 220 bucks at the most. I have 20 bucks on me so can I get a new motherboard, cpu and ram for 220 bucks? I have a GeForce Ti4200 that I could suffer with for right now until Christmas comes along =D

I think I'll look into the AMD route, they seem to be cheaper and still fast as heck. Also, I know about GHz with processors, but I'm not sure about L1 Cache, I have an idea for L2 but I don't understand what 90nm mean and stuff like that means, so dont hesitate to explain, I love to learn about that kind of stuff.

Thanks for the help!

15. gamerbyron

gamerbyron

how about am2, they are cheaper.;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/624935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice