1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pentium-M?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by creativ82, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. creativ82

creativ82 Thread Starter

I think I missed the boat on this one somehow.

I see all these laptops with the Pentium-M processor in them and only up to speeds of 1.7 Ghz. To me, that seems pretty low considering there are 3Ghz chips out there now for desktop PCs. Are these Pentium-M chips just as powerful and have a different way of measuring performance, or are they slower in developing the same high-performance processors for laptops than PCs?

If there's an article on this somewhere that someone can point me towards, I'd grately appreciate it.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

I read a bit about the Pentium-M (Mobile) chips a while back and it was/is a good idea for laptops.It basically steps the CPU down to lower load levels in an effort to extend battery life.The new Centrino developements are along the same lines.
    But,I'd think a 1.7 laptop would do just about the same work that a 3.2 would,just not quite as easily.I guess it depends on what the laptop is being used for...
    Do you do a lot of on-site CAD drawing,run loads of business applications simulatiously,or is it just to take a few notes,watch a DVD,or play a game on the plane?
    Remember: "Neccesity" is the mother of invention,so choose wi$ely...
    ;)

4. Tidalcloud

Tidalcloud

The Pentium M is chip used in the Centrino bundle ... which also includes wifi using the b standard. The g standard appears to be the wave of the future so I don't really consider the entire Centrino package. You have the standard Pentium chip with speeds over 3GHz, the Pentium 4-M and then the Pentium M. The Pentium M is the chip designed specifically with laptops in mind and delivers good performance with excellent battery life (5-7 hours). The highest Pentium M chip out now is ... I think ... 1.8GHz.

5. slawless

slawless

dont underestimate the Pentium M. the pentium 4-M is just a modified desktop pentium 4. as said earlier it will run slower ( usually half speed) on battery to conserve battery life. the pentium-M is a brand new processor designed from the ground up for laptops. It designed completely different than the pentium 4 (and 4M). It is very efficent with its cycles. According to independent tests I have read, a 1.4ghz pentiumM will match or better a Desktop pentium-4.

The Centrino, refers to an entire system of a PentiumM an Intel 855 chip set and 802.11b wireless.

If you want a desktop replacement a Pentium 4-M would be a good idea.

If you want a powerful notebook you can take with you. PentiumM

I now have 2 PentiumMs both are excellent. we used one during a blackout. After 30 minutes of constant use it still had 75% charge.

Steve L

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice