1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Peocess explorer, Handles, threads

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Veryfrustratedus, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Veryfrustratedus

Veryfrustratedus Thread Starter

I have a slowing poroblem. I searched SVChosts on TSG and installed Process Explorer and did a scan with MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware. There were only 3 trackinh cookies in the SAS scan.

Today there are now 27,285 Handles, 809 Threads, and 80 programs down from 83 when I first looked at the display. I did not shut anything down.

I'm guessing I have a lot of stuff running that if I were aware of it I would delete. Thing is I don't know a handle from a thread and can't even decifer much of the services running in Task Manager.

On a different subject;
    An odd thing as I came here to read up on Handles before posting. I read some then logged in. When I clicked to go to the main forums to post I was logged out. I refreshed and was still logged out. I went back and it appeared I was logged in. I closed the browser window (IE9) reopened the original window with the search for handles logged in the went to forums and unsubscribed from a couple threads which logged me out each time. I finally logged in from the main forums page and came here.
    Is that as odd as it seems? I have only been using IE9 for a few days but I'd guessed that it would work the same as IE8 which did not log me out unlesss I clicked on logout from anysite I was signed into.

2. Veryfrustratedus

OK very weird when I posted that, I was logged out in IE9 when this page appeared. I tried to login and IE9 told me Techguy.org was not responding. I then found my browser frozen so I closed it. I then tried to open a new one my machine froze up. I disconnected the cat5 line from the machine to stop any processes I did not see and waited a few minutes. There were 27,950 Handles running when I forced a shut down. I did not wait very long before I shut down, It felt urgent. I'm using FF right now. Edit I just realized I said Programs when PE says Processes. I meant processes

3. user22

user22 Banned

Would you please tell me which antivirus applications you have had previously on this machine any and all.The reason I ask is because some like to hang around after you uninstall via add remove programs and require the use of removal tools.

What kind of computer do you have exactly??Example Compaq presario c700

Download CCLEANER

Just DONT us the registry cleaner function of CCleaner unless you know what you are deleting exactly!!

Then open ccleaner hit the tools button then startup second one down below uninstall then in the bottom right hand corner of ccleaner hit save to text file.Save it to your desktop and post the startup.txt here in your next reply.

Hit the start button in lower left hand corner. Then in the run box type msconfig, then hit the services tab then put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?Please post back to us in a vertical list.

Please download MINITOOLBOX When the box opens click save file, save it to the desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:

Flush Dns
    List Installed Programs
    List Users, Partitions and Memory size
    Click Go and post the result.

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND POST ALL INFORMATION REQUESTED!! :)

I want to make one thing very clear DO NOT use the registry cleaner function of ccleaner!!

4. Veryfrustratedus

Thx user 22 but I'd rather have someone with a long term rep on this site recomend downloads or actions.
    I used a lot of the info on this post to speed things up; http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/1030428-cleaning-out-cob-webs-excessive.html? and it has worked but there is still somethign between TSG and my IE9 Browser that is not working out right. The curser in this post window keeps freezing up. I get logged off when I change pages in a random fashion and the computer is moving very slow when I'm on here. It was working better until I came back to TSG to post an update in a different thread. I wonder if FF will work better?
    I'm going to log off here and try to post with FF.

5. Veryfrustratedus

seems to work better in FF. The curser responds normally and with no hesitation.

6. Veryfrustratedus

I've downloaded HijackThis to scan and see if it shows anything that might explain the problem with IE9 on TSG, and for some reason it does not have the right click Run as Administrator option for my Vista HP system. This is in both the 2.04 and 2.05 beta versions. So I can't get a proper scan with it. Is this something I should go to the Virus/Malware forum with?

7. Veryfrustratedus

Figured it out! The link on the desktop was a shortcut I had to go to the source file to get admin rights. IE9 is still buggy with TSG that is why HT was a shortcut on my desktop I am unused to using FF to download and install programs. I'm going to post in Gen Security.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice