Pepper's Near Death Experience

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Doc Holliday

Friday afternoon I had quite a scare. This all coming one month after the passing of my shepherd. I have a pedigreed miniature schnauzer named Pepper. I had her now for one year and she is absolutely the little Princess of my house. She came into my life from a member in my car club just starting his divorce proceedings. First, when I bought her, I didn't know if I would keep her. Believe me, it took two days for me to be attached to her.

That Friday afternoon was no different in routine than any other afternoon of the week. She always "goes" outside just before sundown. I let her out around five minutes before I call her back in for the evening. This particular afternoon I found her in my backyard laying on her belly staring straight ahead away from me. I went to the edge of my grass border to call her back in. She didn't respond. I thought it was odd that she didn't respond. So, I went out into the grass to see what her problem was. I found her with her eyes shut and the very tip her tongue sticking out of her mouth. Needless to say, I panicked. I wasn't already to lose another dog within a month. Particularly, one that was only 18 months old. I pick her up and she went limp in my hands. I rushed her inside the house and laid her on my carpet. I then grabbed a blanket and wrapped her up in it. All I could think at that time was the unfortunate experiences of what other schnauzer owners went through that I read on another forum board. None of them with good results. I immediately called the veterinarians office. However, I found the office closed since it was after 5:00. Fortunately, I called a local pet store with veterinarian services and they gave a phone number to an emergency clinic. I call them and told them about Pepper. By this time, her breathing was shallow and very slow. She was heading into shock! The clinic recommended that I get her to them as quickly as possible.

I picked her up off the carpet and placed her in the truck. Rush hour was not very cooperative. I did however, managed to get her to the clinic under 10 minutes. By the time we arrived at the clinic she was starting to come around. While I was at the registration desk, a technician came over and took a look at her. First, she pulled back her lips then she looked just below her nose. She took the fingernail of her little finger and scraped just below her nose. What she dug out I couldn't believe! Pepper, it seems, mixed it up with a bee! I couldn't believe it! Of course, after the veterinarian looked at her I took the veterinarians advise and left Pepper at the clinic overnight.

The next morning I called to see if I could come down pick her up. The clinic told me that she was alert and that indeed she was ready to be picked up. Of course at that time, I didn't realize I was about ready to lose her for second time within 24 hours. When I arrived, she was alert and ready to go home with me. Just one problem. Seems another veterinarian, that was holding her at the time, and fell in love with her and wouldn't give her to me. She told me that she had two more schnauzers. But the one that she was holding is absolutely "adorable" and offered to buy her from me. I grinned and declined the offer. She's my little buddy and you just don't sell your buddies.

Today, while Pepper is not 100 percent she is resting and will be taking it easy for the next week or so. I was informed, from this moment on, that if she was stung again that the next one may be her last one! Her outdoor activities are now strictly supervised every second. Who would have thought!:confused:

angelize56

Always remembered in our hearts
Doc...I'm so glad Pepper is alright! (y) What an experience!! :eek:

angelize56

Always remembered in our hearts
One last thing...you should have your vet give you an epi-pen in case Pepper gets stung again by a bee and has an allergic reaction! ;) See you later Doc Hun! ;) :)

Shadow Bea

Cherished forever in our hearts
So Glad that Pepper is Going to be OK Doc!
God Bless and Happy New Year!

Doc Holliday

Thank you Angel.

She going in for a follow-up with her main vet. I will look into what you said.

Thank you Bea & Wimpy.

I just couldn't see losing two dogs (my only two) in less than a month! What a scare!

What a scarey experience, Doc :eek:

My dawg, Angel was always catching bees (protecting me and her property) but I think the number of bees nests we had last summer ( wasp-type/very angry and unpredictable Killer Beez in Ontario) and a swollen tongue from the last time she snapped at one, finally cured her. Thank goodness she wasn't allergic. I have a friends who's dog is allergic to bees and they have epi-pens on standby. (y)
Best wishes to you and Pepper for a wonderful 2006 :D

I'm glad to see pepper is alright Doc that was quite a scare.I haven't had any dogs that were stung by bees but,I did have a pure bred brittany that had epilepsy.It scared me to death to see the poor dog flopping around on the floor the first time.I know it doesn't really compare to your scare but,again glad to hear pepper is alright:)

Glad to hear things worked out OK. My wife had a similar experience with our departed Jody once while on a long walk. Jody acted listless and unresponsive as if she were drunk. She came out of it after fifteen or twenty minutes. Jody was around 100 pounds. I can imagine how much worse it would be for a small animal to receive the same amount of venom.

After her experience with Jody, my wife stopped using scented shampoos on our dogs. Perhaps the vet could also recommend an odorless product with DEET to perhaps repel stinging insects from Pepper.

I'm glad Pepper is doing better now. :) Sorry to hear about that.

My shepherd has snapped at bees before, but either she hasn't been bitten or she's not allergic... which is good.

She did almost die on us before though. It was the day of the New York City blackout... which had nothing to do with us but thats how I remember the day I suppose. We went out with a family friend to see a movie and do some shopping, and we came home late at night, probably 9:30. She didn't move when we came in, which was unusual for her level of hyperness but we figured she was just tired. Then our friend came in, and she barely managed to wag her tail once... we knew something was up. This particular friend, especially, she usually jumps all over and starts barking and wagging...

Unfortunately for us, our emergency clinc happens to be about an hour and a half away. We jumped in the car and went on our way, and eventually arrived. After another hour or two of sitting and talking to the vet, they told us that she had a disease which would cause her white blood cells to turn against her red blood cells and make her very anemic. We had to give her steroids and nurse her for a few weeks after that, but eventually she recovered.

She relapsed a few months later after they tried to take her completely off the meds, and thankfully recovered again.

It's been two or three years since. Now we still have to give her the steroids, but at this point we're giving her half the lowest dose pill available every other day. But she'll be on them for the rest of her life. We also have to give her special allergen-free food... but anything for our baby. :)

I guess I sorta went off on my own tangent... but I know that scared feeling all too well. I hope the best for Pepper :) She seems like a great dog :D

P.S. Sorry about losing your shepherd. :(

Good Lord, you really have had a rough time. Maybe your other dog was looking out for her (and you)

Mr. Welder, I had a brittany - best dog in the world and I will miss her always.

...I too have a miniature snauzer.....she'll be thirteen this year......trapped in a neighbor's cat trap for two days last winter........stomach pumped for eating mouse poison in the garage......and she loves chocolate ( easter baskets and Christmas stockings).......I guess we should have called her the enagizer bunny.....just keeps goin'.........

combsdon said:
...I too have a miniature snauzer.....she'll be thirteen this year......trapped in a neighbor's cat trap for two days last winter........stomach pumped for eating mouse poison in the garage......and she loves chocolate ( easter baskets and Christmas stockings).......I guess we should have called her the enagizer bunny.....just keeps goin'.........
I had a Dobermann that I dearly loved--she ate a whole bag of hersheys kisses, wrapped in tinfoil. They say chocolate can kill dog, but all I had was chrome plated turds in yard. :) >f

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online