Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Performance Boost?

Solved 
3K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
My Win10 ASUS laptop (bought in 2015) has gotten slow it seems. Lags, drags, sluggish to move and open windows, and just all over slow. What are some ways I can boost it to get it back to peak, like new, performance, or even better than new?
---
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200928211053.000000-360
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Hard Drives: C: 186 GB (114 GB Free); D: 258 GB (252 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X551MA, ver 1.0, s/n BSN12345678901234567
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver _ASUS_ - 1072009, s/n F1N0CX24078502C
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Your CPU is quite slow to begin with, Celerons are the cheapest line of Intel CPUs.

That said, here's what you can do.

1) This PC > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Performance > Settings button > Visual Effects tab > Adjust for best performance.

2) Settings > Personalization > Color > Transparency : OFF

3) Uninstall any free 3rd party antivirus. Windows Defender is quite capable, and it doesn't affect performance. 3rd party antivirus, especially free ones, have compatibility problems because of MS's aggressive semi annual upgrades. the 3rd party AV's simply can't catch up. I use 3rd party AV's also, but I use corporate edition, these paid for ones gets the best service / updates.

If the above is not enough. Then you would have to Reset your PC; you have a choice to keep personal files , like documents, spreadsheets, pictures etc. But it will erase all your applications and you will have to install them again. But this would give you back-to-new-condition performance.

#3 ·
Your CPU is quite slow to begin with, Celerons are the cheapest line of Intel CPUs.
What is the next best CPU, not going too expensive, around $100 or so? And, where to purchase?
I've replaced a CPU in an old desktop, but not a laptop. Maybe I'd find someone else to do it.
Is it possible to add more RAM? Wouldn't that help too? It has 4GB now.
How about replacing the hard drive with a SSD? Would that help? Crucial has a 500GB SSD for less than $55, so not too expensive I think.
Just trying to weigh out my options. :)

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
CPUs from different lines are not interchangeable. Their sockets are different. And for laptops, they may be soldered in.

Yes, upgrading to 8 or 16 GB of RAM helps performance. More RAM means you can open more apps at the same time without swapping out the RAM to hard disk back and forth. Swapping to disk is slow.

SSD significantly improve Windows and application load time. You will see much faster boot up as well as faster response when double clicking an app.

#5 · (Edited)
Is my laptop capable of having more RAM than the 4GB currently in it? I read somewhere, maybe at Crucial, that said it is max. But, I always thought that a 64 bit system could have more. Not sure. ???

***Edit...
1614628308059.png

#6 ·
I think the only possible upgrade is to fit an SSD.

After watching the video below the Cpu looks to be soldered to the motherboard (it's under the silver square at 8:00) and as you already know the max ram seems to be 4GB.

The HDD removal is shown at 4:40. I would disconnect the battery first as in the video at 4:00.

#7 ·
I think the only possible upgrade is to fit an SSD.
I've replaced a hard drive to hard drive some time ago (desktop computer). Not to a solid state drive though.
Do you have a list of the steps to use prior to removal and so on? Any advice is appreciated. :)

#8 ·
Watch the video in my previous post from the start, it shows how to open the laptop and remove the drive, you would then fit the SSD into the holder and put it back in, just the reverse of removing it.

#9 ·
I just bought a SSD. Crucial MX500, 500GB @ $54+tax.
Now waiting for it's arrival. Then I pray I can make it work! 😁
I may have more questions. We'll see. 🙂

#10 ·
I would do a clean install of Windows 10 when you have installed the SSD.

If you have any data like pictures, documents etc that you want to keep copy them to a Usb stick, also if you have purchased any programs/apps make sure you have any serial keys they need so you can re-install them.

The easy way to install 10 is using the Media Creation Tool from here :- https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/sof...s10?d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec=True
You will need a Usb stick of at least 8GB capacity, just follow the instructions at the link and it will make a bootable Usb stick that will install the latest version of 10.
You may have to go into the Bios to make that Usb stick first in the boot device order, or use the boot menu you can usually find by pressing a particular F key (top row on keyboard).

#13 ·
It done that all by itself. It finally got over it and I think it's working now. Right now I'm copying & pasting contents from old hard drive to the new SS drive. Seems to be working so far.

#16 ·
This could restore the Fn+F9 combo to turn the touchpad off.

Click this link :- https://www.asus.com/uk/supportonly/X551MA/HelpDesk_Download/

On that webpage click to the left of the down arrow (clicking on the arrow itself does nothing !) and choose Windows 10 64-bit for the OS
Click on the Download button next to Pointing Device
Unzip the downloaded file into a folder then run the setup.exe file and follow the instructions.

Let me know if that helped or not please, it will install extra features for the touchpad, hopefully including Fn+F9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.