Performance Decrease That Only Gets Better/Worse On Restart

Jared13

First idk what other place is more appropriate to post this so I'm just gonna post it here. Basically since long ago I used to play a game called Overwatch and after about 2 years or 3 years or so I noticed the FPS were unusually lower, I didn't really know how to fix it but the way I fixed it the first time was restarting the computer several times, but it kept happening after a while, basically after few days eventually the performance would decrease magically and I'd have to restart the computer MULTIPLE times sometimes making it worse but eventually it would go back to normal or at least close. I also at one point completely formatted my computer which fixed the issue temporarily but like always it eventually came back. So like now it sometimes performs slow like immense FPS drops and everything in general being slow like making actions fast like say clicking random things like text channels on Discord, you could easily tell that it's slow, so anything that pushes the CPU's memory a little might make it super slow like a youtube video, sometimes you can notice how slow it is by the time it takes to pause the video or something. So trying to make it better I'd restart, but sometimes it just wont fix, but I also don't know if it's because I haven't restarted it enough times as I just get bored of restarting multiple times and give up when it's already at least a bit faster than before. So sometimes waiting for the lucky roll, I get a bad roll, basically the way to instantly notice it is the distorted static or something noise it makes when the CPU's memory is being used a bit, by pushing the limits you can hear the static noise increase but sometimes it can just appear once every few seconds while playing a video which means it clearly is garbage. Never had this before it started happening(all this distorted static noise thing). Could never find a case like this, no idea what could be the problem, I guess it might be something either damaged somehow or too old. It definitely isn't dust or anything as 1: The performance doesn't change when no matter if the fan is silent or being used while playing a game and 2: I bought one of those air cans just for that and soon enough it returned. Btw the computer is a laptop: Inspiron 15 7000 gaming

Last edited:

Tanis

Shane
Can you give us the Dell Service Tag number for the laptop?

Can you download and run the TSG System Info Utility, link in my signature below. Run it and copy / paste all the information into a reply here.

Jared13

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9 OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200623061530.000000+000 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4 Total Physical RAM: 8 GB Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Hard Drives: C: 225 GB (14 GB Free); Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0TXG2N, ver A00, s/n /GB4VK22/CN129667650002/ System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 1072009, s/n GB4VK22 Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Serial Number: GB4VK22

Update: I figured the case might really be due to temperature. Although the problem usually wouldn't disappear even when the temperature dropped, shutting down and turning on again after cooling down resolved the extreme lag with the weird noises BUT the underperformance is still there, while testing on overwatch(pratice range) the fps started at 120+ when not really doing anything and not dropping too much which quickly later changed and kept dropping to 40 fps every 3 seconds and when not doing anything it would only go up to 80 fps. I then once again cleaned the laptop which had collected some dust and it improved from 80 max fps to 90 so really do think the problem is temperature, idk what could be making it overheat(?) but i know that the back openings of the laptop(ones with red bars) dont really let out much air and get pretty hot so idk if thats unusual or if it was always like that, but yeah thats all.

Tanis

Shane
According to that tag your machine is a Dell Inspirion 15 Gaming 7576 laptop, is that correct?

Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567

Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567
Service Tag: GB4VK22
Express Service Code: 35501836106
Warranty: Expired 13 SEP 2018

When you say you cleaned the laptop, did you take the rear covers off and clean out the heatsinks etc with canned air? Also, ensure you clean out the case exhaust vents as these easily get clogged with dust so hot air cant escape.

Overheating will cause the CPU etc to throttle back which will reduce performance.

Jared13

that looks just like my laptop. to clean I used a compressed air can and I took off the bottom part whatever you call that, also didn't let the fans rotate because I heard it can damage them. So I sprayed the fans and everywhere else also making sure I didn't drop the liquid, and cleaned also obviously the thing itself that closes the computer at the bottom. Then I also sprayed multiple times the back part I think is what you mean by the exhaust vents (colored red). But I never really opened more than just removing the bottom which is what makes me think I must've not been able to clean a part, and I always suspected it would be those colored red vents which I couldn't access inside, I just know that not much air comes out of those and they get very hot. But yeah I sprayed there as much as I could my entire can now is literally empty. Also the heatsinks I can only see a part of it from what I can remember, after removing the bottom I didn't take out any extra parts so I for sure only partially cleaned that part if not all.

Jared13

Ok, either I didn't clean well enough with the can last time somehow or it really can't handle 120fps as the computers screen used to be 60hz and after fixing the broken screen by swapping for another which is now 120hz. either way last time I said I cleaned i used my mouth cuz i had no more air can "fuel" per say, but now I tried different angles and there was so much trash so clearly it either wasnt cleaned well enough or it just got a lot of trash from the bed this time cuz back when I cleaned with the air can there was no where as much trash as I just got out this time.

Tanis

Shane
Are you using the laptop on a hard, flat surface? Thats the best way to use it to allow good airflow.

Glad its looking better though :)(y)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online