Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Performance drastically degrades on running a DOS program alongwith any other program

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  atish_aa 
#1 ·
When I run any DOS game like Allen Border's Cricket, etc. my system's performance degrades drastically when I run the same along with any media player like RealOne or Windows Media Player 9.
What exactly happens is that while I'm playing this DOS Game with its options of Music and Fx turned off for less memory consumption and at the same time I'm listening to any music with the option of Visualisation selected to 'None', again to free up memory, but still my system becomes slow, the music stops in between & resumes playing by itself, the game also becomes slow and then again starts working properly long with the music.

I fail to understand that inspite of having 512 MB DDRSD Ram & 1.9 Ghz processor still then why is the performance so poor even when I've disabled most of the options that consume more memory! :confused: :confused:

Please help sooooon!!! :)

#2 ·
The fact that Windows XP is not designed to play DOS games might be a factor. And the fact you are running another program in the backround might 'conflict'

But its not uncommon. I have played games that are not Windows based with a media player in the backround and it too sometimes stops playing after a song is finished...

#3 ·
Tidus4Yuna said:
The fact that Windows XP is not designed to play DOS games might be a factor. And the fact you are running another program in the backround might 'conflict'

But its not uncommon. I have played games that are not Windows based with a media player in the backround and it too sometimes stops playing after a song is finished...
But my player stops even in the middle of the song!!!

#4 ·
That too happens to me, but less than not changing straight away at the end of the song.

(When I said stops playing in my earlier post, I meant it doesn't change the song, it's stuck at the end)

But my main point is that DOS games does not work well if at all in Windows XP. Best solution I can give you is to dual boot with Windows 98 or ME.

#5 ·
Thanks for help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.