Solved Performance showstopper only in Visual Studio

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shaulbehr

Hi all,
My installation of Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 has, for the past few months, been a little crotchety, frequently freezing up for minutes at a time. But on the whole, it's been semi-tolerable. All other applications on the computer have been fine.
Then yesterday, things became intolerable. Attempting to run code in VS was taking 15+ minutes to start up. Running Resharper unit tests likewise. But looking at the performance metrics (CPU, memory, network, disk usage), it looks like the computer is at the beach. Simply nothing happening.
So I figured, let's try uninstall/reinstall Visual Studio. While I was at it, why not try VS 2017, with an updated version of Resharper, so I can say for *sure* that everything is clean, shiny and new.
Firstly, it took me about 5 hours to complete this process. Microsoft somehow contrived to make the installation of VS really slow and painful at the best of times, but I don't think even they could have planned for a 5 hour installation time; it's probably more of an indicator of the malaise affecting my computer.
And when I finished installing the brand new, shiny Visual Studio 2015 - nothing had changed. If anything, the performance is now even worse than before.
I repeat: all other applications on this computer are working fine. I have MS Office, SQL Server and several other development applications, and all of them are fine. There is something wrong with my computer that is specifically affecting any version of MS Visual Studio.
Please can you help me find the cause, and fix it?

Thanks!

SysInfo:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16316 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 917 GB (464 GB Free); D: 12 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1966
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

shaulbehr

Arg, facepalm. :oops:
It's that old serial offender, again: ESET.
My personal firewall was interfering with everything to do with Visual Studio. Not sure why this suddenly started happening; probably at some point an "Allow this traffic?" message box popped up and grabbed focus from me while I was in the middle of typing, and I hit the letter "N" before I realized what was happening...
Anyway problem solved...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online