Performance Worries

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RoyBizoy

I wasn't sure where to post this, but since the problem didn't arise until I performed tests on my games, I figured I'd put it here.

I recently upgraded my old video card to a an XFX brand GeForce 6600 256MB video card, which I purchased from Newegg (link can be found at bottom of post). It's pretty good in games like WoW, save for more populated areas or areas that are widely environment intensive. There is also an extreme problem in terms of the drawing distance (or terrain distance, if you will).

However, the main problem I have is that the card is not exactly living up to its reputation based on the Newegg reviews. People are claiming games such as Doom 3 can run in hi-def and hi-res on the card with ease. I recently put that to the test. I could barely output 40 or so FPS in the most non-graphically intensive areas of the game, and that was on 640X480 resolution. This troubles me quite a bit, because, as I stated, the card does not seem to be living up to its expectations.

If it matters, I have 1 gig of DDR RAM and a 2.52ghz processor. Any and all help or input would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150086

RoyBizoy

Sorry to double post, but I felt I should also mention that in addition to my performance woes, the card also has (not very much, but a few times) suddenly "turned off". That is, I will suddenly lose any and all monitor display. In games, it will disable my sound as well, and unable to do anything, I have to restart my computer.

One other thing as well. At the time I installed this card, I also installed a new stick of RAM, 512MB. Again, sorry if this is the wrong forum (especially now with these new developments), but please help me out. I'm at a loss as to what to do, and my only suspicion is that my power supply may be too weak. Thanks for the help again.

dont got that card myself, so i wouldnt know what setting doom 3 would run at, but checck out your motherboar, Is the agp speed 4x or 8x? If its 4x, then your video card is not fully used.

I'd suggest, trying your games with

1) old stick ram, and your old card (if available) - your orig setup
2) new stick ram and old card
3) both sticks ram and old card
4) old stick ram, and your new card
5) new stick ram and new card
6) both sticks ram and new card

then post back your findings. Might also help if you post your make and models of your motherboard and cpu.

From the look of the card it's a standard 6600. I use a 6600GT which runs at a much higher clock/memory speed than the standard card. I can run most games at full settings and high resolutions. I'll post back the differences soon..

**Modded bit**
From what I could pick up the 6600 (Standard) has these specs.....
400mhz core clock
800mhz memory clock
Memory interface is DDR2
This is for the PCI-e version but the AGP version should not be much different

The 6600GT specs......
500mhz core clock
1000mhz memory clock
Memory interface is DDR3

No, the clockspeeds in the AGP version will be quite a lot lower than on the pci-e version due to this card being pci-e native and needing an AGP bridge chip. This kind of chip ALWAYS runs VERY HOT and henceforth requires lower clockspeed for everything else.

the core on this card (AGP) is 300mhz.

well its probly not your video card holding you down as much as maybe your cpu 2.52ghz doom3 on high needs a 3.0ghz or better cpu.

RoyBizoy

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've been contemplating upgrading most of my computer parts for quite some time now, and bought this card mostly as a temporary replacement for my old card. It works fine for now, as WoW is, like I said, the game I mostly play.

In any case, just in case there is any resolution for this, here are my computer's current specs.

Mobo: Hewlett-Packard HP System Board HP P/N
Processor: 2.53 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600
RAM: 1 Stick 512MB DDR PC2700, 1 Stick 512MB DDR PC3200

That's all I can think of that should really matter. If you guys need more info, let me know. Or if you have any recommendations for upgraded hardware, I'll gladly take those too.

That could be part of the problem. You are runnig 2 types of ram in your system. The stick of 2700 will bottleneck your system. PC2700 runs at 333mhz where as pc3200 runs at 400mhz.
This will force all you ram to run at 333mhz if i remember correctly? Ram ideally should run 1:1 with your CPU.

Nurdle

RoyBizoy

Ack, really wish I hadn't spent all this money without knowing that first. Well hopefully Newegg and Tiger Direct will show me some mercy and refund me, then I can begin building my new computer.

his ram in that pc probly runs at 333mhz cause im guessing that pc has a 533mhz fsb or less.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online