1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Performing tasks on shutdown/startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jcdios, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcdios

jcdios Thread Starter

I am using win2000 and would like to be able to do a simple registry backup everytime I shutdown and start windows. I thought this could be accomplished with scripts or a batch file but I know nothing about either one of those. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get started on this or can point me to the exact solution?
    I am not sure this belonged here but I could not tell where else it should go so if it needs to be moved I understand.

2. Dan O

Dan O

You could use NTBACKUP or upgrade to XP, which performs it automatically with System Restore.

But you would not need to perform it when you Shutdown and Start Windows as it would contain the same information. The simplest method to implement it would be to add the NTBACKUP command to your Autoexec.bat with the SYSTEMSTATE option. For more information on it see: http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=25961

And let us know what you did as feedback is our reward.

3. jcdios

jcdios Thread Starter

switching to XP is not an option on this machine, due to unsupported hardware. The NTbackup option is something I will look into. thanks for the info and I will post back when I have a resolution.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice