1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Period lag spikes while gaming on wireless internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Trigger_Rush, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trigger_Rush

Trigger_Rush Thread Starter

*Meant to title this "Periodic lag spikes while gaming on wireless internet"

I've searched high and low and still can't find a fix for this.

I just moved into a new place and I'm stuck with wireless internet. I used to play various FPS games while my PC was hardwired and I never had a problem like this.

Thing is, every minute or so, I get a large lag spike where the game will freeze for about a second or two. Connection is not dropped, just lags. I've contacted Dynex (makers of my wireless adapter) and they're convinced it's not the adapter.

I've been running a ping against Google using "ping www.google.com -t" to see what my connection is like. The results are very consistent. 30-35 pings at 50ms-55ms, then a ping for 1900ms-2200ms, a ping for 260-280ms, and then back to the 50-55ms pings.

Dynex also had me ping an address (172.0.0.1 I think) and of the four packets it sent, there was no data loss.

I've also disabled the Wireless Zero Config to no avail. I'm at a loss, any help would be great.

Windows XP Media Center, version 2002, SP2
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+
    1.79GHz, 2GB RAM

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try this.

After you are connected to the network, stop the Windows Zero Configuration task. Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Scroll down to Windows Zero Configuration, right click on it and select Stop.

See if the lags go away.

3. hermes

hermes

If the slow down you experience is directly related to gaming online I would say that it is down to streaming over a shared connection. Gaming online is resource intensive and you are sharing a connection. If you game online in the middle of the day with nobody using the other PCs is it still bad?

4. Trigger_Rush

JohnWill, I have no Windows Zero Config. If you mean wireless, then I totally disabled it. Should I enable, then stop it?

Hermes, when I ran the ping on Google, the results I posted were from my PC doing nothing. I wasn't playing or surfing. I'm sure no one in the house was using the internet at the time. If they were, it was just web surfing. I'm the only one who plays games.

5. hermes

hermes

I asked around and the solution is as John says, but you can use Wireless FiXP to automate it.

6. Jason08

Jason08

Do you know if ports are required to be open to play?
    Opening ports can increase bad lag in online games.

Jason

7. Trigger_Rush

Ok, in retrospect, I should have left the gaming element out altogether.

The problem really has less to do with gaming than it does with the wireless as a whole. I only mentioned the gaming because that's where I see the lag.

In my original post, I had said what the ping rate was against Google. That is when my PC is idle. No gaming, no browsing, no downloads. The spike in return time is consistent and even. When my PC was hardwired, there was no lag. The internet provider is the same here as it was in my last place, just different method of connection to it.

8. Trigger_Rush

Hermes, I just checked on the Wireless FiXP and it seems all it does is runs the Wireless Zero long enough to get a connection and then shuts it down. I've tried that, as well as disabling altogether and still the lag spikes.

Another thought occurs. I'm using the Dynex software to find and connect my adapter to the internet. Is it possible that the program is causing all this? I was going to go with the windows wireless program but it told me that if I have a program from the manufacturer, I should use that.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Some things you can try here.

1. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
    2. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
    3. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    4. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.
    5. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

10. avisitor

avisitor

Well, try stopping the Dynex service once you're connected.

11. hermes

hermes

If you open task manager and go to processes, sort by CPU, then start the ping, does a service briefly use the CPU coinciding with the lag?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/778975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice