1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Periodic Disconnection from Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NetworkBusted, Jun 14, 2019 at 3:49 PM.

1. NetworkBusted

NetworkBusted Thread Starter

Hello,

For some reason my computer seems to periodically disconnect from the internet. I've tried a few things and cant figure out for the life of me what's going on.

To be clear, it's a full on disconnection. Streaming like Netflix, Hulu, and CrunchyRoll get interrupted. I get disconnected from Discord and any online game I might be playing.

I live with one other person who is connected to the same router/modem I am and they do not have the problem.

Here's what I've tried:
    Purchased new ethernet cable
    Purchased new NIC card
    Changed ports on the router
    Changed ports on the router to my roommates connection
    Virus scan using Avast
    Malwarebytes scan
    CC cleaner scan and clean
    Reset router/ modem combo
    Rebooted router/modem combo

I am totally out of ideas for what else I could be looking for or trying to do to resolve this issue that seems to only happen to my computer.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Does it automatically reconnect some time afterwards or do you have to restart Windows ? If it reconnects by itself, how long does an outage last ?

Easy thing to try - go to Control Panel > Device Manager and find the network adapter, right click and choose Update.

If Windows is extremely busy, networking can suffer. Go start your game and start Task Manager > Processes tab. Click on the CPU column header to sort the highest cpu program to the top. Maybe that program is hogging the cpu and causing problems. Either don't use it when running games or uninstall it.

Check your C drive to ensure that it has plenty of free space. Windows need empty space to create temp files and cache memory. Running low on drive C can cause very strange problems.

Go do a System Restore back to a date before this started happening. You might need to reinstall programs that were installed after this date.

3. NetworkBusted

NetworkBusted Thread Starter

It does auto reconnect, every time very quick, less than a minute or so.

In regards to the network adapter, This should be updated as I installed the latest drivers for my new NIC card. I'll definitely monitor the CPU usage and see how that goes. The C:\ drive is at roughly 59 gigs used 59 free, out of 120GB total on an SSD.

Worst comes to worst i'll try a total reformat as I don't have any system restore points that I know for sure actually worked. The issue has been going on for awhile, it's just become more annoying, now.

**EDIT**

Looks like CPU usage is around 15-20% when the internet disconnects.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019 at 11:58 AM
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!