1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Periodic loss of internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by special--k, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. special--k

special--k Thread Starter

Hey guys, first time posting so let me know if i forget anything.

Hardware:
    DIR-615 @ 3.11NA firmware

Wired:
    PC windows 7
    PS3

Wireless:
    1 DELL windows 7
    2 HP windows 7 (HPa and HPb)
    3 smartphones

Description:
    Everything wired always works, the dell wireless always works and HPa always works along with all of the cell phones. HPb will connect to the router always, as in it see's the router and connects using AES security. For between 15-30 minutes everything will work correctly, transfer speeds are fast and everything is working. For no reason the laptop will lose "Internet connection" only, NOT the connection to the router. But all of the over devices continue to work correctly, so i know the router has internet connected.

i would have to disconnect from the router and reconnect and that gives me another 15-30 minutes of connection. I have checked a load of stuff, but i cannot figure it out. Here is a netBIOS

C:\Users\Cat>NBTSTAT -n

Local Area Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

No names in cache

Wireless Network Connection:
    Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.15] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name Type Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    CAT-PC <20> UNIQUE Registered
    CAT-PC <00> UNIQUE Registered
    WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
    WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
    WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

C:\Users\Cat>

Let me know if you have any ideas, that would be great!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you mean that you can still ping the router, but pinging an internet site by IP address fails?

3. special--k

The router will still assign HPb an Ip address. The laptop is configured in DHCP, but the router will always assign it a specific address. If i do ipconfig the laptop will still have that IP address, but i cannot ping the outside world. I can ping to and from any of the other devices on the network by IP or name.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I can think of three possibilities--driver, firewall or stack issue.

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver (from HP's web site if an integrated adapter). If you already have the latest driver use Device Manager to uninstall it; reboot and let Windows discover the adapter and reinstall the driver.

If you have any non-Windows firewall or security suite tell us which one, uninstall it and run the Removal Tool if one is provided. You can reinstall after testing.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. special--k

going to try this as soon as i get home. thanks for the info.

on a side note, what is the TCP/IP stack... i guess i could look it up :)

More side note: The same laptop will connect to my school wireless all day no problems, and any other wireless as well.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That side note kinda shoots my above 3 ideas, but doesn't entirely kill them. For example, it could still easily be a driver problem if none of those other networks use the same encryption. Sounds like could be some incompatibility between the router and adapter, or else you always use HPb in one particular place where it gets some wireless interference (e.g., another network or a 2.4 GHz cordless phone or baby monitor).

You could also make sure you have the latest router firmware; then reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure it.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Oh, the TCP/IP stack. You will have to look it up if you want a technical answer, as I've never been able to really wrap my mind around it. It is a "thing" that browsers and some other applications depend on to work. I think it is the space where input from the internet (or other source) is placed until the browser (or other application) has a chance to grab it. Those individual pieces of input are "stacked" the way you might physically stack snail mail on the kitchen table for family members to retrieve what belongs to each.

8. special--k

Thanks, ill try that stuff anyways... but it sounds like your as confused as i am. The router is the exact same model / make / firmware as the one i have at the second house and it works perfectly. Different configuration though... the second router is "open" with no security at all. Maybe ill try without security on the first router just for the night and see what happens.

Ill also take a look and the drivers, that is always a good step.

Thanks for the Info on the TCP/IP stack, im a programmer so i understand the concepts of stack Push/pop. I just didnt know that all of the TCP/IP packets were pushed before getting to their "end".

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1004547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice