1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

perl self-executable

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by gamemaster_bm2, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gamemaster_bm2

gamemaster_bm2 Thread Starter

i just started learning to use perl, and i cant seem to get my programs to execute without invoking perl to compile it
    i tried everything in the man pages, and cant seem to figure it out
    its proabably some little thing im overlooking, but help would be appreciated
    Running Mandrake-Linux 8

2. codejockey

codejockey

A couple of thoughts:

(1) have you make sure that the perl program is executable? Typically, you would use a command such as chmod 755 perl-program-name or chmod a+x perl-program-name to set the execute bit for all users. If you type ls -l perl-program-name and see something such as rw-rw-rw (i.e., without an x in any position), then the chmod command should do the trick. Note that you must be the owner of the script or root in order to modify the permissions.

(2) have you verified that the first line in your script is something like: #! /usr/bin/perl? This directs the shell to use /usr/bin/perl as the interpreter for the script (note that your path to perl may be different). Without this line, you may receive syntax errors and various other complaints, forcing you to invoke the script as perl perl-program-name.

My guess is that the first option is the more likely.

Hope this helps.

3. gamemaster_bm2

im pretty sure its my chmod statement, but i cant figure out why it doesnt turn on the execute bit...
    ive tried chmod +x filename, chmod a+x filename, any others?

4. codejockey

codejockey

If you are either root or the owner of the file, chmod a+x filename or chmod +x filename should work, as should chmod 755 filename. You might try running fsck on the filesystem, to make sure there are no problems in the filesystem itself that may affect your results.

Other possibilities: what error(s) do you receive when you try to execute your perl script(s) directly? Note that a "file not found" or similar error may mean that the directory that contains the script to be executed is not in your path; the current directory is typically excluded from root's path for security reasons.

When you execute the chmod command, try capturing the return code -- there may be a clue there. You can try: chmod a+x filename; echo $? to see the return code.

By any chance, is the perl script a symbolic link to another file? If so, you will not be able to change the permissions on a symbolic link (they don't matter, anyway), but the permissions on the file pointed to by the link should change (OK, it's a long shot, I admit ...).

Finally, how is the filesystem mounted? If it is mounted read-only, you will be unable to change any file attributes (although I would expect you'd receive an error message if you attempted to modify anything in the filesystem).

It sure seems like you've covered the obvious bases. Additional info appreciated.

Hope this helps.

5. gamemaster_bm2

i finally got it, i was using the switch -x instead of +x, i dont know why i missed this, but it was a pretty obvious error once i saw it, thanks anyway

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice