1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Permanent slide numbers in PowerPoint

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bob32256, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bob32256

bob32256 Thread Starter

Is there a way to fix slide numbers in PowerPoint so they don't change when I drag slides to another presentation? I want a master list of slides that I can choose from for different presentations.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    NO, the numbers are based on the current displayed presentation.

The only way I can think of is to manually enter a text box with the required number in it.
    Would this usage of these slides from this "Master List" always be the same slide number in ANY presentation?
    I don't think so, so why would you need these permanent slide numbers?

3. bob32256

bob32256 Thread Starter

Because others take slides from my master list and use them to customize presentations. I need a way to quickly reference hundreds of slides in each of several topics. If I have them permanently numbered (TopicA-1, TopicA-2, etc.) that would make it much easier. Photo Album has a "batch rename" that does that for pictures. I had hoped there might be something similar in PowerPoint.

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/PowerPoint_vba_SlideID.html

The SlideID does not change when you move the slide but it is Read-Only and can't be edited. However, you can find out what the ID is (see the above page for some VBA that will do that) and could then list the IDs in Excel or Access and also enter a description for each.
    Then you could sort (in Excel) or both sort and have queries for specific descriptions in Access.
    But PowerPoint will always rename the slides. I think 2007 offers tags as well....

5. JohnWilson

JohnWilson

See if this macro helps:

Code:
    Sub perma_num()
    Dim osld As Slide
    Dim strName As String
    strName = InputBox("Enter the descriptive name")
    For Each osld In ActivePresentation.Slides
    With osld.Shapes.AddTextbox(msoTextOrientationHorizontal, 0, 0, 100, 20)
    .TextFrame.TextRange = strName & ": " & osld.SlideIndex
    End With
    Next
    End Sub

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice