1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Permanently deleting files

Discussion in 'General Security' started by onlineguy, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onlineguy

onlineguy Thread Starter

Hello, I deleted some sensitive information in the recycling bin, and I'd like to permanently erase them. I don't have the means to wipe my hard drive (I'm using a netbook). If I fill the hard drive to max capacity and delete the excess files afterwards will this overwrite the undesired files?

Thanks for the help.

2. oksteve

oksteve

Once you have emptied your trash can, defragmenting your hard drive can normally do the trick.
    There are software programs too that can help, having never used one I cannot recommend any but google your post title and have a look around

3. thingamajig

thingamajig Banned

Defragmenting is not enough. There are two tools that I use and would recommend, ccleaner and cleandisk security. The latter has a number of algorithms to overwrite the empty and slack space many times. The former will add a menu item to recycle bin so that you can permanently delete (write over once) files from the recycle bin. They both clear out browsing history and temporary files.

There are live linux distros which have a suite of forensic and data recovery tools. You can use the tools to see what is on the "empty" portion of your desk to test whatever software you choose to delete files. http://www.securitydistro.com/security-distros/

Use with caution. :)

You might want to consider putting confidential files on an encrypted thumb drive. Iron key is a good choice out of the box.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!