1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Permission denied/cannot delete files

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DKTaber, Oct 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Just got the desktop described below. Inserted a SD camera card into the slot on my Canon MG6120 printer. Opened the folder containing the pix, marked 95% of them, and hit Delete. Get message that I need administrator permission to delete them. I AM the administrator, so don't know why it's telling me this. I looked up how to change permissions in the Properties, but after clicking Properties, no "Security" tab is there, so I can't change anything.

However, I subsequently inserted the card into the card reader on the PC and deleted the pix -- no error message about not having permission. So my question is, why do I not have permission to delete the files from a reader in MY printer which is connected wirelessly to MY PC, but do have permission when it's plugged directly into the PC?

Incidentally, the computer assigns the drive letter Z: to the SD card. Does that have anything to do with my not having administrator access? I also noticed for the first time that I cannot start the computer in Safe Mode. Do a restart, hold down F8, and I'm presented only with a menu asking what device do I want to boot from. ?????????????

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!