1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Permission errors

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tindog, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tindog

tindog Thread Starter

I'm getting this error message on many things I try to do, from trying to run an install .exe to opening my bluetooth settings... I'm running Vista Home Premium, with NOD32 as a virus program (I have uninstalled that but the problem persisted)... is there any other info I can give you? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try this fix: EXEFIX

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the .REG file and choose Merge. Note that you need to be an Administrator to apply this fix.

Reboot the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

3. tindog

tindog Thread Starter

It all seemed to work correctly, it said "successfully merged" and I rebooted, but the problem remains.

4. tindog

tindog Thread Starter

by the way, I've run all the spyware and malware I have. Eset NOD32 in-depth scan, Spybot, but I've been advise to get rid of all others as they seem to like to dump registry optimizers and such on me... is there something effect, safe and free?

5. Phantom010

Are you trying to run those apps from shortcuts?

6. tindog

tindog Thread Starter

No, the app that brought this problem to my attention is Picasa, I've downloaded the setup file to my desktop, as I generally do... but since, other things I try to do give me the same error message, but it seems random.

7. Phantom010

Check your antivirus.

Check the settings and look for possible signs of Picasa as an untrusted application.

8. tindog

tindog Thread Starter

Well, Picasa is just the app on my desktop I'm using to test each attempt, it's happening in many places... I will check though... it's Eset NOD 32

9. tindog

tindog Thread Starter

I did not see any untrusted apps or files listed.

10. Phantom010

11. tindog

tindog Thread Starter

I got a tip from elsewhere that seems to have worked... apparently my Profile was corrupted, I created a new profile and everything seems to be working again. The one exception to that, oddly, is that my recycle bin has no icon, there is no "empty recycle bin" right click option and when I try to access the properties I get a message saying "the properties are not available"... but everything else I was having issues with has been solved.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice