1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Permission help

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by prince24, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prince24

prince24 Thread Starter

hey everyone

i am currently using windows vista "rtm" build 6000. everytime i try to install a program like office 2003 or itunes it proceeds with the installation untill it gets to the point where it deals with registration values. After this i get the messege saying somehting like "you do not have sufficient permission to access this file". I am the admin because there is only one account in my pc and it says i am the admin. im just wondering how i can get "full control" into things like installing programs and such. please help me out
    thanks

prince24.

2. TechB

TechB

When installing program, particularly older ones, then use "Run as administrator". If you put a CD in and it autoruns you must cancel that then browse to the setup program on the CD, right click on it and chose Run as administrator. If that still doesn't work then use the compatibility option to set the program to run with XP SP2 compatibility.

3. prince24

prince24 Thread Starter

thanks for replying techB

i tried both methods you told me to.
    still no luck, i still get the same error message stating the following..

"error 1404. setup cannot delete the registry key \Software\Classes\.tif. Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact your information technology department for assistance"

I dont think my "administrator" account has sufficient permission. I cant even download an ATI driver from the internet and install it says i dont have sufficient permission.

4. Peter Komar

Peter Komar

You can go into Administrative Services and turn permissions off all together. I ran Vista from June - Dec with it turned off and never had a permissions problem.:)

5. prince24

prince24 Thread Starter

thanks peter komar

would u tell me where to find administrator services?

6. Peter Komar

Peter Komar

Click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools/ Services. Scroll down until you find a description for it. I do not remember the exact title since I no longer have RC2 installed on my comp.:)

7. prince24

prince24 Thread Starter

peter komar

when i go to control panelt "admin tools/services" is not shown. I am running vista RTM

all i see are
    system maintanance
    security
    user accounts
    appearance and personalization
    network and internet
    clock..etc
    hardware sound
    ease of access
    additional options

i went to additional options and couldt find it there either

8. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Go to run. Type Control Userpasswords2. Go to advanced, then advanced again. Click users and Administrator. Enable the Administartor account. Back out of the panel and reboot. You will now have the choice of logging in as the true Administrator rather then the "pseudo" one you believe you are in now,

9. Peter Komar

Peter Komar

On the left hand side in the Control Panel, switch to Classic View, you should be able to see it now:)

10. prince24

prince24 Thread Starter

peter komar

i have done that
    my options are :
    comp. management
    data sources
    event viewer
    iscsi initiator
    local security policy
    memory diagnostic tool
    print management
    reliability and performance monitor
    services
    system config
    task scheduler
    firewall with advanced security

which one do i choose to go about disabaliny admin services?

11. prince24

prince24 Thread Starter

thanks for replying dacehc

i am the true admin i did do what you asked me to
    still getting the same error messege
    not sufficient permission to delete or modify registry keys

12. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Should have worked. What choices do you now have at log on? OK then try these two:::

Keep uac active, but get rid of annoying popups.

When UAC is enabled, software which is run "As Administrator" requires, by default, that a pop-up prompt be responded to, and the Administrator password required (or, if no password has been defined, just a click in the box).
    It is possible to get rid of this annoying pop-up, as follows:
    Start/Run and type secpol.msc
    Select Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options
    scroll down to the last six items under “User Account Control”
    1. Behaviour of the elevation prompt for Administrators in Admin Approval mode. – elevate without prompting.- Prompt for credentials.
    2. Behaviour of the elevation prompt for standard users. -
    3. Detect Application installations and prompt for elevation – disable
    4. Only elevate executables that are signed and validated. – disable
    5. Run all Administrators in Admin Approval Mode. – enable

For each line, select the above suggested option
    Reboot

Disable the UAC (If the above doesn’t do it for you, then go a stage further with this):
    This is the one that keeps interfering with requests for Administrator permission. If you have followed the steps above, and are now running as Administrator, this should no longer be a problem.
    1. Press the Windows Key +R . –or go to START/RUN
    2. type msconfig
    3. Go to the tools TAB, scroll down to Disable UAC and click run. A command prompt will pop up saying Command completed successfully.
    On your next restart the service will be gone.

13. TechB

TechB

With the RTM version turning on the administrator account doesn't give you anything different from running with a user account that is an administrator. The reason it is disabled is because it is a well known account name that is subject to attacks. There is nothing special about it unless you boot to safe mode and there are no other administrator accounts. In that case it doesn't matter if it is disabled or not. It will become active.

14. TechB

TechB

Something is truly messed up with your Vista installation. It may be time to start over with a clean install.

15. prince24

prince24 Thread Starter

hey guys
    i have tried everything listed
    still no permission to registry key changes
    i dont even have full permission to the windows folder on C:
    there is no choice to edit it and give myself permission because its grayed out
    my plans are to re install XP
    if youy guys have anymore suggestions
    please let me know
    thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!