1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

permission isssue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bob158, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bob158

Bob158 Thread Starter

hello, I have an executable that I would like to prevent from running, but whatever I do, it keeps running. This executable comes with another executable that I have and need. I don't know whether the second one changes the permissions of the first one, or removes and recreates it, or whatever, but this is annoying. Is there no way I can control what is running on my own computer ?? This is driving me mad, please help. Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What executables? The question is very vague.

Are they system processes? What do permissions have to do with whether a process executes?

3. Bob158

Bob158 Thread Starter

No they're not system processes, but I believe they are being run with admin privileges. I was told that if I refused read and write, the executable wouldn't run. But maybe working with permissions isn't the right way to go, I'm just hoping you could give me a solution to this issue, whether it involves permissions or not.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Read and write are user privileges and not privileges assigned to executables.

What is the problem with its running? If another process depends on it, won't that prevent the other process from running?

You could always run a logon script or batch file that uses taskkill.exe to terminate the process.

Programs like Process Lasso can terminate processes any time they try to run.

But this may be a first for me, hearing that someone wants a process to run but not its child process. It almost sounds a bit fishy.

5. Bob158

Bob158 Thread Starter

No the other process doesn't depend on it ; actually the other process is the main process of the software, and the process I'd like to remove is just an annoying ad. I would like to prevent it from running so that I don't have to close the window manually everytime. It's not a child process, the parent is explorer.exe according to the process explorer. But I wonder whether the other process is interfering with the modifications I make. Like, changing its permissions, or removing it, or putting it in quarantine has no effect. It comes back the way it was. Yes I could use such a script but it would be somehow resource consuming to have a script loop and check every 10 milliseconds whether the process is there to be killed or not (any greater value and I would still see the window opening and closing). I have a slow computer and I would rather not come to that. Is there really no way I can choose whether a process runs on my computer or not ?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try Process Lasso. You might even like it. Terminating unwanted processes is only one, small part of all it does. It controls priorities and allows you to increase or decrease them so that ones you want to run optimally will do so. (I admit, however, that I haven't tried that particular function, so I don't know how it does it and in what time-frame. If it alters permissions, then the time is 0.)

You can also terminate the GUI and still have the service enforce its rules in which case it uses almost no CPU.

It sounds like an ad-supported program. If you terminate the ad, most will no longer run. They have anticipated that when they made the program.

If I remember right, the XP Security Console has an option to prevent a process from running. Since I'm on 7, I don't want to run it to check.

In order for a process to run, it does need to have "execute" permissions assigned to it in its NTFS metadata. If you remove the permission, it will not run. You will need to remove all users' and also the system's permission to execute the process.

There are many security programs that will do all of this for you. Perhaps the simplest is Trust-No-Exe.

How to disable .EXE files to be run from Group Policy
    AppLocker
    Microsoft Applocker (New feature in Windows 7 and Server 2008)

============================================

That ought to give you enough to digest for a while. :D

7. Bob158

Bob158 Thread Starter

Thanks for all these solutions. I have read all the links you gave me, and, if I understood their description correctly, most of them are third party softwares which have to be running continuously for the executable not to launch. This does not differ much from the script we were talking about earlier. I was wondering if windows would natively allow me to do that, without having to lose some resources to run a software in the background, that I will only be using to close a window that pops up once a day. I think the only link that isn't a software like that is the "How to disable .EXE files to be run from Group Policy". But I don't understand where 'user configuration' is in the answer; Is this solution just for windows server ?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, it is in Group Policy. Start > Run: gpedit.msc
    that is, provided that you have a version of XP that has policy installed. Otherwise, one would need to know the equivalent changes to be made in the registry and possibly some files.

But back to your permissions. Reading and writing have nothing to do with executing, so changing those will have no affect. That only affects whether a signed in user can read or write (which includes the "system" as a user). But if you look at the specific permissions that apply to each user, you will see execution among them.

As far as a background process running, I don't believe that AppLocker runs after it applies its changes. Process Lasso does it in a way I do not have any knowledge of, so if it changes permissions, it does not need to run, either. As far as anything at all running, setting a lower priority will make them completely unnoticeable as far as their affect on the machine. That is why I use Process Lasso in the first place - so I can put less important processes to execute only at Idle priority so that they have no affect on what I am doing at the moment. Yes, it is a trade-off, but I think one that ends up to my advantage as far as CPU use goes.

Unfortunately, no one has complete control over a computer. Administrators are limited, too. Only the owners of the OS have complete control over it, and they probably aren't coming over to tweak their operating system for you. But there should be at least one method that will work for you. I haven't used AppLocker myself, but I did download it and plan to trace how it works.

It wouldn't hurt to try some of those things. If you are worried about the system, then make a fresh, full system backup (which you should have, anyway, since all hard drives will fai, often without any warning). Or at least a System Restore point before trying the software. You can also virtualize your entire system with Try & Decide if you have an Acronis imager installed.

9. Bob158

Bob158 Thread Starter

It says Windows can't find gpedit.msc. I have windows xp home, not pro. I'll give applocker and process lasso a try.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, it's not in Home. But you should still have access to permissions. Notrmally, you need Safe Mode for the security tab, but I have a couple ways around that. The first involves changing a byte in a dll, so we'll leave that for later if needed. The second is a reg file that you can merge.

I have uploaded the reg file: XP Security Tab Home Edition

The "undo" file is there, too, and I would suggest using it to restore your machine to its default state after you have used the Security tab that will then appear in the file's properties. Leaving it could have unexpected results, so that is why I included the "undo" reg file.

AppLocker works great. But it also pops a notice that the app is locked when someone or something ties to run the program, so you will still have a popup window. Try changing the "Traverse Folder / Execute file" permission for everyone in the security list. But again, that will pop a message that the path is not available every time the process is initiated. Process Lasso may be the only one that does not pop up a message each time.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice