1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Permission to Access Folders

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bastiat, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bastiat

Bastiat Thread Starter

New laptop that will not allow me to access certain folders. I have gone into the Folder option in the Control Panel and marked off show me everything but when I attempting to access the "Documents and Settings" folder in the C drive I'm denied access.

There is only one person created for the computer......... me. The computer also shows a "owner".

So the questions is how do I change the "permissions" to give access to all folder on the C drive?

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Documents and Settings isn't actually a folder, it a Junction (aka Reparse Point or Symbolic Link) pointing to the new location, which is C:\Users.
    Users (Even the Administrator) don't have access to the Junctions so they don't accidentally get moved or deleted, which could make programs not written for the new locations to stop working, or even crash.
    You can give yourself access on the Security tab (right click, click Properties), but there is nothing inside to access.

Lots of folders have changed from XP. Just takes a while to get used to it.
    Here's a few of the new locations:
    My Pictures, My Music, My Videos–Where did they go?
    And more info:
    More on Vista Reparse Points

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/887048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice