1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Permission to remove file issue on Vista

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by stacia123, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stacia123

stacia123 Thread Starter

I have Windows Vista service pack 2, recently updated, it's working fine.

When the new Google Reader layout arrived I disliked it and decided to download another RSS reader, Omea. During download it created a folder in Program Files as usual, but Omea didn't work so I tried to uninstall it. While the software shows up in the add/remove programs list, when I try to uninstall it doesn't recognize Omea Reader as even being on the system, saying it's already been removed. I manually removed the software but it has left one file behind I cannot delete because I need "permission." The file is IexploreOmeaW.dll

I already have User Account Control off.

I've tried removing the file from the account I used to download the software as well as from the other account I have on Vista. Neither worked.

I made the file unhidden and changed permissions on it in Properties. That still didn't work.

The path is Program Files -> JetBrains -> Omea Reader -> IexploreOmeaW.dll

What can I do to remove this? Thanks!

2. pip22

pip22

Make sure there's nothing in your Startup list related to the Omea Reader.
    Easiest way to check your Startup list (items which always load with Windows) is with Ccleaner from here:
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

If it lists anything related Omea, highlight and disable it, then restart Windows.
    The stubborn file should then be deletable.

3. stacia123

stacia123 Thread Starter

Hi, sorry it's taken me so long to respond. What exactly am I looking for when I use CCleaner? Nothing with Omea is listed on the left sidebar, and I see no Omea items when I analyze.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can't "manually remove" software. That is why there are uninstallers. There are parts of the program throughout the system and many registry entries. Most programs put a minority of their files in Program Files. Trying to do so makes a mess and can affect the running of other programs.

The best thing to do when there is a problem uninstalling a program is to reinstall it to repair the uninstaller. If you still have the deleted files in the Recycle Bin, restore them.

Ccleaner will be of no use to you and could cause further damage. Do not use its registry cleaner. It does the same damage as all of them.

But if you wish to simply remove the Program Files folder and leave the rest of the program's parts in the system, try one of these tools that will delete it on next boot:

UnlockIt
    FreeFile
    Emco Move On Boot
    Unlocker
    Advanced File Remover

Due to what the program has left behind, you probably won't ever be able to install that program again because the system thinks it is still present. But that depends on what installer was used.

You can remove the entry from Add/Remove with MyUninstaller. Right-click and "Remove Selected Entries".

Rule of thumb: Never do anything on a computer that you do not know how to reverse.

5. stacia123

stacia123 Thread Starter

As I said before, the program didn't work so there was no way to call up the uninstaller that allegedly comes with it. (I have no idea if even HAS an uninstaller, I just assume it does.) Going out to the Control Panel to uninstall didn't work because it didn't recognize the program even existed.

Sorry I didn't realize the previous answer I got was something I shouldn't listen to.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice