1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Permission

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Kula, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kula

Kula Thread Starter

I recently had to re-install Windows Vista, and I have a problem I didn't have before. I want to move a folder and files, from my c: drive to an external drive. I get the message that I don't have permission, and to try again. This doesn't do anything. I can't understand this, as I am the only user, so should have full permissions. One thing I did notice, is that the files are read only, but changing the attributes doesn't help.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What files and folders are you trying to move? I highly doubt they're set to "read only". The check box is probably solid green which means advanced attributes are enabled. It does not mean they're "read only". I suspect you're probably trying to move system files/folders.

Did you apply all updates and service packs?

3. Kula

Kula Thread Starter

I ripped a cd to mp3, and now I want to move them. They're definatey not system folders/files.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What did you use to rip the CD? What is the EXACT error you get when you try to move (cut & paste) the files? Can you copy and paste?

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Are you trying to copy to an existing folder, or are you creating a new folder in the root of the external drive?
    As you 've re-installed Vista, your PC and user accounts now have a different Security ID (SID) which won't match the old SID used to set permissions on existing folders on the external. So you actually might not have permission to access some, if not all, existing folders.
    You may just need to take ownership of the external drive:
    How to Take Ownership of an object in Vista/Windows 7

6. Kula

Kula Thread Starter

Thanks for that Outcaste, I think that is what has happened, as I can't copy/move anything to the external drive. I did try something from this advice http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-tips/you-need-permission-to-perform-this-action/, and on re-booting, I was asked whether, I wanted to log on as Administrator, or Rob (which is the default account with Administrator rights). How can I remove one of them, so I'm not asked to log in, as I'm the only user.

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You can disable the Built-in Administrator account:
    Click Start, type cmd, when cmd.exe appears in the list, right click it and click Run as administrator
    Copy and paste (or type) this line and press Enter:

net user administrator /active:no

To paste into the Command Prompt, right click the Command Prompt window then click Paste. If Quick Edit is enabled, the right click will paste immediately.

Or you can set one of the accounts to log on automatically:
    Setup Autologon

Click Start | Run (or press WinKey+R), type control userpasswords2, press Enter
    Uncheck the Box Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
    (If already unchecked, check it, click Apply, then uncheck it)
    Click OK
    You'll be prompted to choose an account and enter a password that the system will use to Automatically log on. If you have no password, leave both password boxes blank.

If you want it to stop at the Welcome screen, just leave the box checked for Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice