Permissions changing mysteriously

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

columbo

Hi,

I work in an office with a small network (1 PDC/File Server, a proxy server, and about 20 workstations). All of my clients store their files on a drive on the server. The problem I'm experiencing is that for some unknown reason, permissions are changing on individual files. Basically, all of the files are set like this:

GROUP: Everyone
ACCESS: Full Control

Now, I've discovered that certain files have changed to:

GROUP: Administrators; System
ACCESS: Full Control

I have not changed any of these permissions myself, and none of the clients here have access to the server. It seems to only have affected Excel files so far. In some cases, I can simply change permissions back to normal, but sometimes, the files become corrupted and I have to restore from a backup.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!:D

P.S- The server OS is WinNT Server 4.0, SP 6a

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online