1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

permissions problems after xp repair

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bbxrider, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbxrider

bbxrider Thread Starter

I recently ran the xp repair option from my install disk, repaired system seemingly working ok after a few adjustments but a a major problem is I can't install any ms updates, including installing the 3.1 or 4.5 installer. I either get the 80070005 error, or a popup message 'access is denied'
    There are a number of posts recommending using secedit to restore defaults. I have a number of accts and file permissions that would be a real pain to have to redo, if I restore to original defaults.

Is secedit to defaults the only solution after a repair?

Is there no way to run secedit to only repair the registry permissions. this is where the problem seems to be. I checked that admins do have full control for registry permissions and I run as an admin user

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I think I posted on another of your problems did I not.
    This is likely to be a Security programme ie an Anti-Virus or Firewall or a change you have made to permissions that have effected this. Disable all anti-virus and firewall by inserting Updates as an allowed website.
    TRY THIS FIRST
    Go to Control Panel, Administrative Functions Services and check Automatic Updates as per this screenshot - attached.
    Then if still no success try this

http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal
    Run it on the appropriate FIXIT and see if it helps.

If that does not work use the baseline scanner and try the updates direct.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320454
    This will list your updates and provide you with the direct download, rather than the updates listed together.

Attached Files:

3. bbxrider

bbxrider Thread Starter

ok, working now, my updates, were failing with 80070005 and the 4.5 installer had a popup error message, 'access denied'. turns out the permissions for the registry hk_classes_root was full control for everybody! hows that for security. when I first saw that I thought it would include system and administrators, but evidently not. so I added both with full control and was then able to install the 3.1 installer. I would like to know /what/when/how the hk_classes_root permissions was changed to everybody/full control.
    thanks for the suggestion, but I doubt if I would ever use something like the ms Fixit unless totally out of other options and desperate. who knows what it may do that would wreak havoc on my system. I ran into things like that trying install sql server 2008 along side 2005 which was supposed to be ok but just created a mess. then unless you can pay 250/hr for ms support, nobody seems to really know what is going on.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Glad its working the Fixit is a Microsoft Fixit programme that has only just been released. It is not some off the peg fixit. I would never recommend such a programme. This Microsoft programme installs what is deemed necessary by the scan of your computer. IT is really ONLY a collection of the Microsoft fixes ALL put together in once place.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!