Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

persistent BSOD, went away, then I bumped it

1K views 30 replies 3 participants last post by  idkwtph 
#1 ·
I am really sorry about sentence structure, I have to type this on my phone. My old computer had issues with freezing and crashing, so I bought parts from online. The obly things I didnt replace were the SSD, the HDD, and the optical drive. I would get the parts list but its on my computer.

I had issues when I first got it. For maybe a month or two, I got a ton of bsod errors, the ones I remember are IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, something about kernels... But there were a lot of different ones. Every time I tried to look up how to fix one, of get a different one. I assumed it was a driver issue since I hadn't wanted to completely start over by wiping my hard drive, but all drivers were up to date. I reinstalled windows, and that failed, as well as running memtest and trying quite a few other things. Then one day it stopped; I don't know what fixed it; it had crashed one bight while idling and I hadn't tried any fixes after it, but no blue screen, although the sound sort of glitches on a very regular basis.

Tonight I was reaching for something, and I hit a few wires that were connected to the back of the pc. The only two that seemed out of place were the audio jack and the Ethernet, but I decided to reseat all the cables just in case. I got a blue screen righr as I started adjusting the HDMI cable(note that I still had a display until then).

Since then, I've been back to varying bluescreens, only unlike when I first built this computer, it prevents getting on the computer at all. Sometimes it doesnt get to the login screen. Sometimes it gets to the login screen, but I get a black screen when I log in. Sometimes I get in past that, but it bliescreens again before I can even reach the dump files. I can't figure out how to atart up safe mode, (f8 doesbt work), and I dont kbow what else to do.

I can try to give you my specs from what I remember but it probably isnt enough detail. I have an amd ryazen cpu, and amd gamong motherboard, a graphics card that I'm pretty sure was a 1080, a coolermaster cpu fan, and a corsair power supply.

The most recent bsods that I wrote down were DRIVER_VERIFICATION_ERROR, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and 0xc000021a but other ones happen too.

See less See more
#4 ·
A lot of different errors and BSODs like those is often caused by Ram problems.

I would unplug the mains power lead from the PSU then use the latches on the ram sockets to push the ram sticks up and then push them back down so the latches snap into place.

If possible run this SysInfo utility on the PC and paste the text it outputs into your reply please :-https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

#5 ·
I took out all four RAM sticks and reseated them in different slots. I got to the techguy forums before getting the DRIVER_VERIFIER_FOUND_VIOLATION error with HTTP.sys again. EDIT: got it downloaded this time, was able to run it but not log in to post. Next time ill take a picture and replicate the data by hand.

Also: got MEMORY_MANAGEMENT during startup.

#7 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 16
RAM: 32716 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, -1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (50 GB Free); V: 931 GB (410 GB Free);
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., X470 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B79)
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

EDIT: Fixed it. Managed to log in and post it.
EDIT2: While still on my computer was able to pull up RAM page https://www.outletpc.com/aq8527-gskill-aegis-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-3000mhz.html

Currently not bluescreening anymore, will update if that changes.

#12 ·
Ok, let's test the Ram.

Please go to this website and make a bootable Usb stick to run Memtest86 as described :- https://www.howtogeek.com/260813/how-to-test-your-computers-ram-for-problems/

Run the test for at least 1 pass (or overnight is better) and let me know if it finds any errors. If it finds errors while you're watching it you can stop it then. Any errors means there is a problem with your Ram and you should test each ram stick on it's own in the same way.

#14 ·
Well memtest didn't come up with any errors, but I haven't changed anything in the bios yet, so I'll do that.

Something else I've noticed is small glitches or things like choppy sound, and choppy sound seems to have one potential cause of a failing hard drive. Coincidentally the HDD and SSD are the only things I actually kept from the previous computer that was freezing and crashing constantly, other than the optical drive. I have the OS stored on my SSD and most of my programs are on the HDD since the HDD has more room. If this is possibly the cause, should I replace one or both?

#17 ·
That is a quality pw supply. A problem like this can be difficult to find since it does not happen all of the time.
At this point, I would start swapping parts ie ram, video card, etc OR test those in another system.
I checked the support page for that board and there are a lot of bios updates that address compatibility and memory issues. Are you running the latest bios? If not, I would consider updating. If you do update, be sure you read and fully understand the flashing procedure.

FWIW, I am no fan of msi IMO msi is a mid-level mfg [at best] Not up to the quality of a high end asus, asrock, or gigabyte board.

#20 ·
Linux mint seems to be running in software rendering mode. In not totally sure if that's normal because I've never run linux before.

I'm not sure how long to run mint, but I've been running it for a few minutes and not had any noticeable sound glitching.

#23 ·
Well, running it for a couple hours didn't reveal any stutters, that's good. But then I reconnected the SSD and HDD and ran windows, and I haven't gotten any stutters in sound on windows now either.

It might have been the ram voltage though; up until just now I think I hadn't actually saved the voltage settings in the BIOS. Oops.

#25 ·
So I tried to update the bios. After I saw it was in progress and the screen basically said not to touch or do anything, I walked away so I couldn't actually mess with anything. When I came back, the computer was running but the screen was black, and it stayed that way doing nothing for a good hour or so. I finally decided to shut it down at that point. After that, I got a 0xc00021a error, but after going into the bios and fixing the ram voltage again, then a few failed attempts to start windows (windows didn't load correctly) I finally got it to work again. At least for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.