1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Persistent BSODs, boot takes forever, slow performance.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KamiKazeKenji, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KamiKazeKenji

KamiKazeKenji Thread Starter

It's been a hot week down here in California, and it seems to have taken it's toll on my old Dell D600. It's had it's problems before (a LOT!), and it's acting up again.

Two hard drives have failed in it already, and I've just recently revived my Toshiba 40GB that died from a bearing error. It seems to be suffering from the heat again, and it has failed.

Here's some screenshots I took of the BSODs, please help me sort this out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first BSOD occured after some heavy performance problems, I rebooted and was met with it. The second and last one are the results of subsequent boot attempts. The last two were taken just a few minutes ago. It managed to boot, but took forever to. I was barely able to open firefox (massive "lag") when it gave me the fourth one.

2. gfne

gfne

Sounds like a power supply problem. The fact that multiple hard drives have failed eliminates the CPU overheating as being a problem (I think.) Go inside the bios, and see if there is a section where you can monitor the CPU temperatures just in case I'm wrong.

Is the battery in? If not, plug it in (and let it charge completely while its off.)

Also, can you get me the service tag (the number in the area of the bar code, or even labeled as service tag?)

3. KamiKazeKenji

The battery is always in, and it's always plugged in.

AFAIK, there is no section in the BIOS that lets me monitor CPU temperatures.

The service tag is JD7L461.

4. gfne

gfne

I've had a laptop do this to me once. It didn't matter whether I used it, or left it alone. Problems went away when I pointed a one of those table fans to it (one of those laptops which were thick, which meant no mobile processors available, so they used regular desktop CPUs.)

Also, do a memory test. Download and burn the iso image of http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10/memtest86+-4.10.iso.zip

5. KamiKazeKenji

I took the hard drive and put it in another (almost identical) d600. It seems to be working okay so far, except for the long bootup.

EDIT: Never mind, it crashed when I tried to play games (the first BSOD occurred while playing the same game).

6. notnewcivilman

notnewcivilman

I would try what gfne suggested and test the memory with memtest86. Once this passes (if possible) have the machine run scan disk on the drive and see if that helps.

Who is the hard drive manufacture?

7. KamiKazeKenji

The hard drive manufacturer is Toshiba. I am just about to run memtest86.

8. KamiKazeKenji

I ran memtest86 and it passed. I think I'll test the hard drive for inconsistencies now (CHKDSK and SFC), and if that doesn't help, I'll just reinstall. We'll see if any problems persist after that.

9. gfne

gfne

There is a utility made by Gibson Research called Spinrite that checks the hard drive, bit by bit. It supports many partition types, including NTFS and Linux types as well. But you have to buy it. I think its around ~$90

10. KamiKazeKenji

$90? Haha, I'd rather just buy a new hard drive. Better than that, I could just save my money for that desktop that I have my eye on.

Of course I would like a free alternative, as all I want is my data recovered and my hard drive usable (at least for now).

11. notnewcivilman

notnewcivilman

12. KamiKazeKenji

I downloaded the utility (the DOS version) and read the readme. It states that only these models are compatible with the utility:
    Code:
    2.5 inch drives:  
    ----------------- 
        { "FUJITSU M271xT"       } 
        { "FUJITSU M272xTA"      } 
        { "FUJITSU MHxxxxxxx"    } 
        { "FUJITSU MJxxxxxxx"    } 

3.5 inch drives:  
    ----------------- 
        { "FUJITSU M16xxTAU"     } 
        { "FUJITSU MPA3xxxAT"    } 
        { "FUJITSU MPB30xxATU E" } 
        { "FUJITSU MPB30xxAT"    } 
        { "FUJITSU MPC3xxxAT"    } 
        { "FUJITSU MPC3065AH"    } 
        { "FUJITSU MPD3xxxAT"    } 
        { "FUJITSU MPE3xxxAT"    } 
        { "FUJITSU MPF3xxxAT"    } 
        { "FUJITSU MPF3xxxAH"    } 
        { "FUJITSU MPG3xxxxxxx"  } 
        { "FUJITSU MPH3xxxAH"    }
    My hard drive's model is MK4026GAX.

13. KamiKazeKenji

I booted from a windows CD and ran CHKDSK. It could not finish the scan due to unrecoverable errors.

I also ran Seagate's SeaTools but it was unable to run any test. It returned the error of the HDD not responding to any commands, and something about bad sectors that I can't seem to remember.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/960541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice