1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Persistent pop-ups even with pop-up blockers

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Irina, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Irina

Irina Thread Starter

I've long been an avid user of the Google toolbar and have had much success in blocking pop-ups with it. I just got a new computer and installed the toolbar again. For a while, things were fine, but these past two days, pop-ups have been coming up nonstop. So I was worried that perhaps I might have been hit by spyware.

I ran Spybot and cleaned up a few entries, but not all of them. I've just run Ad-aware and the log is as follows:

Would someone have any suggestions on what I need to tweak to fix things?

Thank you very much!

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

3. Irina

Irina Thread Starter

These are the results:

Thanks in advance for your help. ;)

4. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Download Spybot http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

Click on "Search For updates" When prompted.

Next, close all Internet Explorer windows, and click Check for Problems. Once the scan is complete, have SpyBot remove all it finds marked in RED.

Reboot.

Download Adaware SE http://lavasoft.element5.com/software/adaware/

Install the program and launch it.

First in the main window look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now then click Connect and download the latest reference files.

From main window: Click Start then under Select a scan Mode tick Perform full system scan.

Next deselect Search for negligible risk entries.

Now to scan just click the Next button.

When the scan is finished mark everything for removal and get rid of it.(Right-click the window and choose select all from the drop down menu and click Next)

Reboot and post another HJT log for review.

5. Irina

Irina Thread Starter

Here's the HJT log after.

6. cybertech

Go to Control Panel, add/remove programs and remove MsgPlus it is not recommended as it is bundled with Lop.com
    You can read more about MsgPlus here

About DAP You make the call uninstall or keep it...

Your log looks fine. Any problems?

7. Irina

Irina Thread Starter

No more problems at the moment. Still get pop-ups now and then, but I guess I'll need to install something more focused than Google toolbar to avoid them altogether.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll read up more on msgplus. Was loathe to uninstall it because it's been so useful to me in the past, but clearly if it's a danger to my computer, it has to go.

Thanks again!

8. cybertech

Popups on line are going to happen unless you get a good popup blocker. If they happen before you have accessed IE that's not good.

9. Irina

Irina Thread Starter

No, they don't happen before I open IE. Will look for a good pop-up blocker soon.

One different problem I'm having that I hope I don't have to create a new post for: every once in a while, when I close the last IE window, I get an error message, that the Adobe Acrobat Helper can't be opened and the memory #________ could not be referenced. Would anyone understand what that means and whether that's indicative of a huge problem?

My HJT log:

10. cybertech

Remove the Adobe Acrobat Helper from start, programs, startups
    It does not need to be running.

Run HJT again and put a check in the following:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7A12A061-1396-4A68-8D0D-920618F280DA} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\w8b.dll
    O4 - Global Startup: Search.vbs
    O16 - DPF: {15AD4789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6} - http://public.windupdates.com/get_f...92 437fc021adc
    O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/282c8ce...ip/RdxIE601.cab
    O16 - DPF: {87067F04-DE4C-4688-BC3C-4FCF39D609E7} - http://download.websearch.com/Dnl/T_50038/QDow_AS2.cab

Close all applications and browser windows before you click "fix checked".

11. Irina

Irina Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. Just did as you said. Acrobat Helper isn't in my startup menu, though. I did notice it in my HJT file. (O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll) Am I not supposed to touch that?

Thanks again!

12. cybertech

You can fix it from there or use msconfig to remove it.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/281793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice