petite redhead with problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

harrylyme

hopeing thats got someones attention,now down to the nitygrity,can anyone help me thiis the problem if i do a forced shutdown com will not restart unless i unplug for a while ,i was having problems with the hd clicking and then freezing up,have put a new hd in but not installed os yet(not had the chance) i thinking it may be cpu heat related,any ideas,
many thanks i advance.

If you are still trying to start the PC using the old HDD, then that is your problem.

The HDD is probably dying and as soon as it warms up, it stops working.

You should unplug the old HDD for now and get the new HDD installed with an OS and started.

Once the new HDD is all set, set the jumper on the old HDD to Slave mode and then plug the power back in. Hopefully you'll be able to access your files long enough to copy them to the new HDD.

harrylyme

thanks for your quick reply jsanguachew,not as easy as that i am afraid,machine as been off for an hour or so while i went for some thermal compound,reseated cpu,ran for 10 sec turned of will not start does the same with new hdd,i bet its the mb so will have to take it back(under warranty) but what a pain,is there any thing else to check???,many thanks in advance.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Does the power supply turn on when you try to start it with the new HDD installed? Having to unplug power from the wall and re-plug it is usually an indication of a bad or overloaded power supply, or motherboard problem..

harrylyme

hi frank,thanks for your quick response,i think you may have a point,if i leave it plug in it will not start remove plug from back of machine and leave it a while and it will eventually start,is there any way to check the power supply that does not involve going to the shops,
its not the money i just hate driving(unless its on a nice quite road in france)look forward to hearing from someone.cheers

harrylyme

just had a thought,has well as the heatsink over the cpu there is another one just sat there on the mb,i am going to take that off and put some compound under that,here goes.!!!!!!!

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
You can usually isolate the problem to either the motherboard or power supply.

Starting with the PC shutdown the way you usually do it, locate the power supply 20 or 24 pin connector. Place a jumper between the green wire and one of the black ones (a bent paperclip works for this). If the PC starts this way every time, suspect the motherboard.

If it doesn't start without having to pull the power cord, suspect the power supply.

Note: Remember the PC is going to turn on with the jumper. So don't jump (startle reflex) and drop the paperclip into the PC.

harrylyme

hi frank,tried that and power supply works,looks like mb,so thats my satday sorted.ps when in reconected cables the com works.thanks for that usefull tip will impress my mates with that one,cheers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online