1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pfbackup.exe with Outlook 2002

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hofca, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hofca

hofca Thread Starter

I have searched this forum and other places on the net, and I have not found the exact problem I am having.

I have downloaded and installed pfbackup.exe with Outlook 2002. It installed successfully and "backup" shows up in the file drop down window, but when I try to backup the problem starts. I select backup and choose the path in which to save the backup (on an external hard drive). It tells me that I have to close Outlook first, so I do, but then when it tries to backup it gives me the following error: Cannot copy outlook: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use. The external hard drive is "My Book" with 344 GB free space.

I have been working on this problem for hours, and I finally admit defeat. :)

Thank you for your help.

Diane

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you set it to back up somewhere on your hard drive does it complete?

\FYI , , you can do the same thing manually by copying the pst file to the external.

3. hofca

hofca Thread Starter

Thank you!!! In checking to see if I could save it to my hard drive I discovered that I was not entering the entire path correctly. Now it is working. Thank you, Thank you!

I have another question. Not sure if it close enogh to the original question, but.... When I transferred the files from another computer I noticed that there were three files in the folder containing my pst files. They were: extend.dat, outlook.pst, and outlook1.pst. If I need to reinstall Outlook and start over, are all pst files the "same" (but newer ones contain more recent information)? Would I also need to replace the original dat file with a backup one?

Thank you again,
    Diane

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

In Outlook . . click on Tools . . Options . . Click on the Mail setup tab . . then the Data Files button to find which file your Outlook is using.

The one named Archive is where you old archived mail was stored . . no idea what Extend,dat would be . .

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice