1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PFN_List_Corrupt Error, please help.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Khadrimx, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khadrimx

Khadrimx Thread Starter

First, I have a Gateway M675PRR, which is about... 3.5 years old now. I know it's old for a laptop but up until this point (other than replacing a fan and disc drive a very long time ago) it's been really reliable.

My problem DID NOT start out with this error.

I came home from class to find my computer screen black- thinking it was a screen saver, I tried to revive it to no avail and had to force a shutdown. Upon starting back up, that black screen that says "windows was not able to successfully start up" and so I chose the option to "load windows under the last successfully known settings" and the computer booted just fine, BUT my wireless adapter wouldn't turn back on. I knew that was a problem so I immediately started backing up my files. Thankfully, I finished that before the problem managed to get worse.

I tried to see if perhaps the wireless adapter had just shut off, but it hadn't, in fact, my network connections didn't even recognize the fact that I HAD one. So, I went into my system and my device manager and found my Wireless Adapter (Broadcom 802.11g network adapter) and it had a little yellow exclamation point on it that said "this device cannot start". So... I started researching that and all the solutions I found to try and fix it did not work. I haven't installed or removed any programs in the last month on my computer, so I found it hard to believe it was anything caused by that... the only thing I had done was download an image from my friend, which she had personally scanned onto it, so I find that is probably completely unrelated.

Now my thinking is "my wireless card is fried". Which is fine, big deal right, I can get a new one. Now... here's where things get... stickier I suppose. I decided I should try to uninstall then reinstall the device and my computer tells me "this device cannot be uninstalled, it may be needed for your computer to run" or something along the lines of that phrasing. So I just rolled my eyes at it and shut it down to deal with it when I can perhaps have someone around more computer savvy than me around to take a look.

Later that night, after having a really stupid Zune error on my father's PC, causing the damn program to not even start, and making me unable to edit my music, I figured I would chance turning on my laptop- after all it seemed to be working fine other than the fact I had no internet, Zune should've been fine. But, before I even get to the XP login screen, I have received the "Blue Screen of Death" - appropriately named if you ask me by the way. which tells me:

PFN_list_corrupt 0x0000004E and a string of other numbers which I'm sure I can get if I truly need to.

After researching this problem, I heard it was mostly a memory issue, and that RAM is usually suspect... but if my wireless card is corrupted or fried, would that cause this problem too? How can this be rectified? IF it can be rectified at all. I am willing to try to save this laptop, if it's not going to cost me a fortune. If it is, I'm just going to save up for a new one, because... it's old and nearing the last legs of its little life I'm sure.

Any input would be useful here. And appreciated greatly.

Talia

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!