1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PG high error using ATX Power supply tester

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dwinches, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dwinches

dwinches Thread Starter

I've got an older system of mine rocking a MSI K8N Neo Platinum, socket 939 with an Athlon 64 Winchester core and 2g of Corsair RAM.

Recently stopped booting.

The MOBO has a add-on for the back with USB ports and 4LEDs that show diagnostic info. It said that the processor was not booting and sure enough, the system would not POST. I pulled the processor and reseated it, which may not have been the right choice, but now, the mobo won't even power up (ie: fans don't spin up and the power supply fan does not even come on.)

I pulled out my power supply tester and got it to turn on and all the rails have normal voltage, but the PG readout is alarming as high (990 or greater), although it does not always do this. What exactly is going wrong with the PS and does this sound more likely to be a fried mobo or a faulty powersupply?

Thanks all,
    Dave

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The PG is the "Power_Good" signal that allows the CPU to reset and begin booting the PC.
    If it is not present withing 400-500 milliseconds the PC simply will not boot.

3. PLACEBOID

PLACEBOID

Sounds like a power supply prob to me if the PSU cooler fan isn't running.

4. dwinches

dwinches Thread Starter

I purchased another powersupply and it tested fine, but produced the same failure to boot when connected to the mobo. when I tried my original PS again, the PG error had resolved, so I am thinking that it must be the mobo/proc that is blown.

Anyone know of resources that I could read up a little more about the PG concept?

5. PLACEBOID

PLACEBOID

I just re-read your original post:"I pulled the processor and reseated it, which may not have been the right choice, but now, the mobo won't even power up"

Is it possible that you did not reseat the CPU properly? It is quite easy to bend pins if you do not remove the CPU carefully enough...they can be rebent back into shape but it is a tedious exercise...I would suggest using a nail file or similar shaped object...rather than bending individual pins carefully run the file up the rows and columns until they are all straight again....be very careful not to overbend the pins or metal fatigue can cause the pins to drop off and then you will most likely have to buy a new CPU!

As for the PG thing wiki has this to say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Good_Signal

6. dwinches

dwinches Thread Starter

I'll give that a look, but the processor did not seem to have any bent pins before. Thanks for the wiki link.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703393