Phantom File

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jxik

I am on WIN98SE (laptop). I tried (unsuccessfully ) to install my HP scanner. I removed everything HP scanjet, but when I sign on, a black screen comes up and says that there is a missing file needed to run windows or something else. Hpsjvxd.vxd I searched thru program files, looked everywhere. How can I get rid of this missing file that I'm pretty sure I do not need?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
It is most likely a dangling registry entry.

Run Regedit and check for it in the following 2 keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shared DLLs
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD

jxik

I'm there and there is about 30 c:/scan entries. Can I remove all of them, or should I go thru each to find the exact file I am looking for and--delete that one only?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online