Phenom 940 cooler, any recommendations ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

winpc

I have a stock FX cooler with a 70mm fan and its pathetic.

The fan runs at 5000rpm and its like listening so a steam kettle.

I've looked at the options on ebay and amazon but most seem to be poor designs. Those with copper rods seem to be best but most of them have the rods aligned in the direction of the fan's air flow so to me only the rod nearest the fan gets any benefit.

If anyone has a Phenom 940 in their tower, would you let me know which cooler you're using please ?

Thanks.

crjdriver

I have one [940] in my home theater and it works fine with the stock cooler; never going above 45C [and that is in a small case]
I would tend to think you have other problems ie restricted airflow, dried out thermal compound, dirty hsf, etc.

If you want a recommendation for a hsf, I have three systems with a coolermaster 212; one fx 8350, one fx 4350, and one i2500k [all heavily overclocked] and none of them gets over 60C when running prime95 stability tests. Note these are NOT the easiest things to install however their performance is excellent AND they are just about silent during normal usage. You can hear it [the fan] a little when running a game or a stability test however other than that, it is silent.

Last edited:

crjdriver

Here is a screenshot of the current temp. System has been ON for over two hrs. As you can see a fx4350 running @4.8 gig and is is at 27C and the coolermaster is running at <900rpm.

Attachments

winpc

Many thanks for your input.
Does your stock cooler have a 70mm fan like mine ?

I have an 80mm case fan, at the rear, adjacent to the cpu to draw air out of the case so it constantly has cool air coming in from all over.

I have two types of paste, both purchased on ebay from sellers who claim they sell high volumes to gamers and xbox users.

I'm going to invest in a tube of Arctic Silver 5 which is highly rated.

crjdriver

Yes, the home theater uses the stock 70mm cooler.
The biggest mistake people make when applying compound is to use too much. Too much compound acts as an insulator and impedes the transfer of heat energy. You need a small drop the size of a BB in the center of the cpu. Install the cooler and done.

winpc

Thanks for the advice.

To date, I've used the method of applying paste that I saw on youtube, I.E., apply the paste and spread very thinly over the entire cpu face.

I'll reapply the paste as you recommend and see it it improves matters.

crjdriver

After all parts are cleaned with either 99% or 91% alcohol, apply a small BB sized drop in the center of the cpu. Now install the hsf however do not lock down the camlock. Give the hsf a few gentle twists back and forth. Now lock down the camlock and connect the fan lead. Pw ON and check temps.

winpc

Have reapplied paste.

Used isopropyl alcohol swabs to clean off cpu and heatsink surfaces then put a bb sized blob of the gold Halnziye paste on the cpu face center, placed the heatsink on, gently twisting, then locked.

I had the case on its side with cover removed and booted to bios to view the cpu temperature and speed. In a few minutes it was up 55+ degrees and the fan in excess of 4000rpm.

I suspect the paste so time for some arctic silver 5 !

crjdriver

Honestly I have used a LOT of different thermal compounds and I have not seen any real difference. There might be a degree or two of difference however the thermal sensors are not all that great and the margin of error is most likely more than the difference between various thermal compounds.
Arctic silver is fine. Just apply it in the manner recommended on the AS site.

crjdriver

One more thing. If you are sure the thermal compound is applied correctly and you still get high temps, you may have a sensor failing. The 940 is now 7yrs old and nothing lasts forever. There is a thermal diode on the chip and a sensor on the mb; the board sensor is more likely to have failed than the diode however either is possible.

winpc

A thought has occurred to me.

The fault may with the cpu itself.

Possible that there's a fault in the fan speed signal ?

winpc

Apologies, I posted my last comments as you were, hence the overlap.

I'd wager the cpu has the fault rather than the board. Prior to buying the 940, I had an X2 7750 in the board running without any problem at all.

crjdriver

The last got me to thinking. It has been 6yrs since I built the home theater system; cycled on everyday to record my wife's soap opera. Same win7 install for 6yrs :eek::eek::eek:

winpc

Sadly, using Arctic Silver 5 paste has not solved the problem.

I've refitted the X2 Phenom 7550 and its cooler as a temporary measure.

I tried the 7550's cooler (aluminum finned block) with the 940 but it got too hot!

I'm not investing in another cooler only to find the X4 940 is at fault so its on the shelf until a suitable cooler comes my way to for testing.

By the way, when I applied the paste, I tried the BB blob method and it hadn't covered the entire cpu plate when I removed the cooler so apparently not enough paste. To date I've always applied the paste and spread it very thinly over the entire cpu plate. Using this method, the X2 7550 is ticking along at less than 40 degrees.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts