Phenom...do I or don't I?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lazybear

I'm in the market for a new rig and was wondering if I should buy the phenom(9500)? I was looking at the Athlon 64 X2 6400. Is there much of a difference between the two?

Back in the day I used to be pretty confident in talking about pc's and building them but that was then. I'm still a little baffled as to what a quad core is. I mean, I know what the text book definition is and I know that it's better than a dual or single core. What I'm not sure about is the performance and such. My chip that I have right now is the amd athlon XP 2800. That sits at 2.08GHz. The X4 9500 is rated at 2.2GHz. My biggest puzzlement is, is the 9500 only .12GHz bigger or is it 2.2GHz x 4? You see what I'm getting at? I've never really seen it explained anywhere as to how this works.

I realize I'm bordering on being a retarded noob but I wont know unless I ask.

lazybear

Did I post this in the wrong spot?

Hello......

Is anyone there?.....

Mommy....... lol

crjdriver

You would have 4 cores running @2.2. As to whether or not it is going to be any better than the 6400; I doubt it [at least initially]

The software really has to be optimized to take advantage of the four cores.

With either chip the 6400 or the phenom you will see a very big increase in performance over the athlon 2800.

If you plan on using it for a gaming PC or a server, then you will probably want the Phenom quad-core chip. Few games support hyper threading (meaning that they can put out two calculations at once and take advantage of dual-cores), but new games like Crysis do. So, if you are going to be playing high-end games, the Phenom is for you.

If you plan on using your computer for light gaming, the Athlon 6400+ will be better (Cheaper and faster per core). Or, if you don't plan on gaming, go with the 6400.

On another note, even if you only use one of the four cores in the Phenom, it will be significantly faster than your XP 2800. The clock speed does not always represent real speed. For example, the Intel E6600 has a clock speed of 2.6GHz (I think), but it performs about the same as the AMD Athlon 6000+, which has a clock speed of 3.0GHz.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online