1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Philips 24/12/40x CD-RW Has Stopped Burning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeZaStR, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeZaStR

DeZaStR Thread Starter

I've recently purchased an internal Philips 24/12/40x CD-RW drive. When I first installed the drive, all went well. Hardware and software installed effortlessly...burns were fast and flawless. After a couple of months, the drive would spit out "Track write error" messages along with numerous coasters. However, this was temporarily resolved by lowering my burning speed, but now I could only burn at 8-12x when I was previously burning at 24x. Another month or so passed, and the drive eventually just quit working. It stopped recognizing CDs all together...even store purchased games/programs. So, now it wouldn't read or write anything. I called Philips and explained what it was doing, their only solution was to exchange the drive under warrenty. So, I now have the new drive, and it is beginning to do the same thing. I can only burn at about a 25% (if that) success rate, at a lower speed than it should.

That about sums it up, so below are my system specs and other information about my pc.

Home built PC
    800mhz AMD Athlon
    512mb pc-133 ram
    Windows ME

- The CD-RW drive is currently slave to the CD-Rom master on the secondary IDE cable.

- The previous drive was setup as the only drive and as master on the secondary IDE cable...producing the same results.

- The same results occur regardless of what type of burning software I use. Have currently tried Roxio, Nero, & CDRWin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Send it back to Phillips, it's broken.

3. slipe

slipe

Welcome to TSG.

It sounds like you might have a heat problem. Track errors usually are a result of dust on the laser/reader or a warping of the plastic piece holding it. The warping is a result of heat and it is unlikely you got dust on two burners in a row that quickly. The warping is usually permanent once it occurs.

Have them send you a new burner. Assuming your PS blows out, install an exhaust fan on the rear of the computer. An intake fan on the front will cause air to bypass the slots over and under the burner by providing air rather than having the computer suck it. A front intake fan works great unless you are having heat problems with a component that air is bypassing in this manner. If you have more than 2 bays the middle ones usually have more space above and below the burner.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice