1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Philips DVDRW228

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by me235711, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. me235711

me235711 Thread Starter

I recently switched out an old cd-rom drive with a new dvd+r/rw from philips. I also have a cd-rw that haven't messed with recently and works fine. The dvd+rw seemed to essentially work plug&play, it played dvds and burnt cds, but it wouldn't let me burn dvds. When I insert a blank dvd+rw in the drive the icon in my computer changes it's title to 'CD Drive' (from 'DVD/CD-RW Drive') and double clicking only brings up a window saying 'F:/ is not accesible. Incorrect function.'

I ran the installation program and it asked me all the standard questions, where to download, agreement terms, etc. Eventually it told me I need to either replace an existing cdrom or add the writer to what I have, except the second choice is grayed out, meaning I have to add the dvd drive to my existing hardware. Clicking Next warns me that I'm not allowed to add another drive with my configuration and I should choose 'replace' instead, the choice that is greyed out and unclickable.

Having no choice but to close the install, I checked device manager and found only my CD-RW drive that I hadn't changed and the new philips driver (the old drive was gone). I tried uninstalling from there and restarting, as well as running the install program before restarting, but nothing works.

Oh, and philips doesn't return my emails.

I hope someone can help me out, thanks a lot.

--Ryan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!