1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Phishing email virus ???

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Dangerous_Dave, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave Thread Starter

Hi

I've had two occasions in the last couple of weeks where a message has been sent from my email address on my home PC to about a dozen of my contacts with an obvious phishing link on it. Some of those contacts are work addresses - who I have never emailed from my home PC - and some I'm pretty sure I've never emailed although I do recognise who they are (lovefilm, google checkout). The message also appears in my inbox and the from box identifies it as being sent from - me !!!

The only thing I could think of was that for the first time in months I've used Skype twice in the last two weeks and while last nights random email definitely happened while I was using Skype, the first instance I can only say might have happened last time I used Skype two weeks ago (I dleted the email the first time this happened).

The message last night was (and please don't click on the link):

Hello friend!
    is everything ok
    This is an interesting read hxxp://kierek.home.pl/profile/24WayneDoyle/
    see you soon

I've already done a bit of browsing and read that there has been an issue with phishing on Skype and have removed the file shared.xml from my Skype folders. I've also run virus checkers in normal and safe mode and found nothing.

Does this situation sound familiar to anyone ??? Is it even a Skype related problem or am I being attacked from elsewhere ???

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

DD

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice