1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

phone call from windows microwave security

Discussion in 'General Security' started by crystal clear, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crystal clear

crystal clear Thread Starter

I got this phone call from a " windows tech" (he said) telling me I was infected. Like a fool I let him take control of my windows laptop computer. He put a program in it to "clean it"? He and wanted money to run it....I would not pay him....after hanging up I ran the program myself (another stupid mistake. This was a windows laptop xp os. I have since gotten rid of it as I was afraid of it...But my question is this. I am on a network, (and so was my laptop) when he got in my computer do you think he could see my private information (password, name, husbands on our apple computers that are on the network also? I have not noticed any major problems with my computer. we have lion os on our apple computers. The only thing I have seen recently(and this incident happened some time ago) I got an email from someone to tell me to quit sending him emails and I got an undeliverable email notice....neither of these people had I sent any emails to. Please advise. Thank you so much...I have worried about this ever since it happened.

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    To help us help you,please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread. You can use the TSG Info to fill in your computer information in your user profile as well.

Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.

3. crystal clear

I had bought the laptop used and do not remember but I think it was a hp latop with windows xp os.Like I said I have gotten rid of it.And I got on the internet through my network. I have a mac mini,
    macosx
    version10.7.5
    processor2.3GHZ Intel Corei5
    I do have free sophos virus protection on my mac mini
    I know he saw that I had a hp printer installed but I was concerned that he might have seen my password and other private information. A computer man that I bought the laptop from said he couldn't see my password, etc but I wanted another opinion.and was concerned for my husbands computer. we are on a network but his apple computer is hardwired.

4. crystal clear

I hope I have given you enough information

5. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Just noticed you got rid of that laptop.

6. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi crystal clear,
    Just to get this clarified - are you now using Macs only? Are you posting here from a Mac?

Do you have any Windows machines that were on the network when that XP machine (that you've got rid of) got compromised?

Thanks.

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

You say you have "gotten rid of it", do you mean you got rid of your XP laptop or do you mean you got rid of that program ?

If you still have the laptop, an important thing to do is to disable the remote access feature that he used to control your pc. Do you remember what he asked you to do in order for him to look at your PC?

8. crystal clear

I gave the laptop back to the computer guy that I bought it from. He is cleaning it up but I don't want it back. I only have macs now. I have an ipad, iphone ,mac mini and my husband has a mac pro. But we are beginners. I might want to hook up a dell laptop one day with windows os in it. Would that be a bad idea? I hav alot to learn about my ipad. Do you guys deal with those?
    I'm sorry I don't remember what he used to have me consent to let him take control of my computer. He had an accent like he was from India.

9. crystal clear

I did not have any other windows computers connected when this happened

10. crystal clear

CaptainRon276, I have tried to download the program and I get a message that this computer can't read doss. so I don't think that will download my specs. I did put them in a message I think that is what you are asking for. I can give more if you need....

11. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    That's fine.

12. crystal clear

I just tried to run that program again and it says "this program cannot be run in dos mode"

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice