Phone Call Notification While Online

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wenpeek

Can anyone suggest a website or software program that will notify you that you have an incoming phone call while you are online? I only have one phone line without an option of installing another line due to living in a hotel so therefore I don't have phone service in my name (to add the call ID option). I just want something that will tell me I have a call so I can log off and answer my phone. Any ideas or suggestions are greately appreciated. :p

Without a "call waiting" service enabled on the line, you can never actually find out if someone is calling. Nobody can, as the call is never able to be put in a queue to generate the "beeps" that modems or special hardware can detect.
Caller ID is only of use if you also have call waiting in this regard.

Likewise no website or software can work in this regard because without call waiting the caller never connects to anything to be detected. They just get an engaged tone.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you invest in a V.92 modem and have an ISP that offers the service, you can get notification of incoming calls and it suspends your connection until the call completes. I've never used the feature, but that's the claim for V.92 connections. I believe you need call waiting for this feature to function.

What I have and have been using for years sounds like just what your looking for. It's not software but a box that set's on your desktop called HotCall by Command Communications. If you have caller ID name and number through your phone company and someone calls you while your online, it beeps and shows you the name and number of the person calling. You can answer the call and talk approx. 10 seconds, hang up and not loose your online connection. Or ignore the call then press the call back button on HotCall when your finished on the Internet. It's worked great for me for years and they have great support. Here's a link to get started and read about it. It's a little pricey here but there are other places to purchase it a lot cheaper.
http://www.twacomm.com/Catalog/Dept_ID_291/Model_HC4000.htm

Good Luck,

CallWave is muy bien. I've had it for over a year now and it has offered almost no problems. After a 30 day trial, you have to pay about $5 extra on your phone bill, and that's it. It's extremely easy to configure, is very stable, and takes up very little memory space. Most of the time, you don't even notice it running. When someone calls you while you're online, it makes a phone-ringing sound and downloads the call to your computer, so you can listen to it.

Callers have a full minute to talk, the option of talking back to them with your microphone is free and functional, and it also gives you Caller ID, time that they called, amount of time they talked, and their phone number. Messages can be kept as long as you want, and if you accidentally delete a message, it allows you to undelete it.

It has no spyware attached, is completely on the up and up, and customer support is great... they get back with you within 24 hours. There is an online tool on their website to test your service to check that it is running, and CallWave even tells you when somebody called and got a busy signal (name, number, time)... even if you were not online when they called!

I highly recommend it! go check them out at www.callwave.com

L

Lightning

holy_saiyan1 said:
After a 30 day trial, you have to pay about $5 extra on your phone bill, and that's it.
How does this work when the person is living in a hotel and doesn't get a phone bill?

Sadly, it doesn't work. You have to have Call Forwarding on Busy with your Phone Co. This, you cannot do because you don't have a phone connection of your own.
I used Callwave for years and it is a very good product. The only reason I dropped it is that I now have DSL. Hooray!!!!

wenpeek

Thank you to everyone that responded. You have certainly answered my question and gave me some good ideas for later. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online