1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

phone disconnects me

Discussion in 'Networking' started by numbnuts1, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. numbnuts1

numbnuts1 Thread Starter

ive just upgraded my tiscali broadband from 2mb to 8 mb, but ever since ive had problems,ever time i use the phone i get internet explorer cannot display the webpage and the only way i can get back onto a webpage is to reset the modem(sagem 800).ive tried using a different phone and new filter but it makes no difference.ive had 5 long phone calls to tiscali but problem still not resolved.
    ive re-installed the modem still no difference,when i ping the ip address it come back with timed out,can you help,starting to get very fustrating.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Classic sign of bad interior wiring, bad filters, or marginal lines from the ISP. You can address interior wiring issues, but if that doesn't fix it, you'll have to get Tiscali in the picture.

My fix for DSL/ADSL interior wiring issues.

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco service entrance. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.

Here's a good detailed description of the process: DSL Wiring Upgrade Tutorial

3. numbnuts1

numbnuts1 Thread Starter

bit confused i dont have a phone box or nid,just the little white box that the phone plugs into is this the same

4. JohnWill

Oh, you have all that other stuff, the "little white box" is connected to something to make the phone work. :D

5. numbnuts1

numbnuts1 Thread Starter

yes the wire goes outside and straight to the telegraph pole.do i need to climb up it

6. JohnWill

You have no interface junction box on the house at all? That would be a first, and I'm sorry if I just don't believe that they run a wire from the pole, through the wall, and directly to your modem jack with no junctions. That's just not the way utilities operate.

7. numbnuts1

numbnuts1 Thread Starter

all i have is the cable coming from the pole into my house and into i a white box that the phone plugs into it has 2 screws in it so you can take the bottom part off so as to get to the main bt line

8. JohnWill

That is the NID (network interface device). If the wire runs right to your modem from that box and nowhere else, I'd consider trying a new wire or bypassing it as a test. If there are no phone instruments connected to the line, what is the discussions about phones and DSL all about? The modem and phone are connected to the one and only jack?

9. numbnuts1

numbnuts1 Thread Starter

yes thats right the phone and modem are connected to the one jack through a filter and theres no problem until i use the phone.

10. JohnWill

Either there is a problem with the wire from the NID, the filter is bad, or it's installed incorrectly. Remember, the phone is filtered, the DSL modem is NOT.

The other possibility is the ISP has a problem like marginal signal levels, and the phone use pushes it over the edge.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/711576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice