1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

phone extension question....

Discussion in 'Networking' started by john doe iii, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john doe iii

john doe iii Thread Starter

I dont have a phone plug available where my PC is. I currently have DSL and am using a 75ft phone extension cord to connect my modem. Will this cause me a lost in speed by using a phone extension cord? Are there any alternatives besides connecting wireless?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I strongly recommend you do NOT use flat phone extension cable for DSL, it can seriously affect the connection speed and reliability.

3. john doe iii

Is there anything you can recommend? Should I dish out all the bucks and buy me 75ft worth of cat 5?

4. austinguy

austinguy

I would fork out $45 bucks for a wireless Cable/DSL router, and another $35 or so for a wireless PCI card to connect wirelessly. This way you won't have to worry about 75 ft of cable going every which way.

Put the wireless router where the DSL modem is. Connect your phone cable (the one that came with your modem) from your wall jack to the modem, and connect the Ethernet cable that comes with you router, from the WAN jack of your router to your modem.

It may be a hassle getting it configured at first, but it's worth it. You might have to wire your router to your computer to do the initial configuration. Set your Internet Connection Type to PPPoE, type the username/password that was provided to you from your DSL provider. If you have SBC DSL, you'll need to set your router's IP address to 192.168.0.2 (since the modem requires 192.168.0.1).

Of course wired is always going to be the most stable. If you don't want to knock holes in the wall, stream cables between the walls, install mount brackets, or if you just don't want to have the clutter of seeing a wire running down your hallway, wireless is the way to go.

5. JohnWill

Personally, I prefer wired connections for desktop computers. Wired is easier to install, faster transfers, and a lot more secure. Did I mention more reliable? :D

6. john doe iii

I also preffer wired... i guess thats the route i will take. Is there a big difference between 100 and 350mhz cat5? Any online places that are cheap?

Thanks again.

7. austinguy

austinguy

350Mhz CAT5? That's an odd number. CAT5e/CAT6 can go up to 1000MHz. If you're going to go faster than 100Mb/sec, I would seriously consider CAT6.

Online places that are cheap? Not sure how much you're willing to fork out. Go to http://www.pricewatch.com and click on "cables". There's a place down the road from me called Altex that specializes in networking, cabling, and networking tools http://www.altex.com. Might check them out.

You think wiring is easier? Maybe if you're just going to run a cable from one computer to another, but streaming cables in your attic and between the walls isn't easy...at least not for me it isn't. If you're willing to risk damage to your walls and falling through your ceiling, wired is great! I was fortunate enough to wire my entire house while it was under construction.

If speed is your concern, I've established 150Mb/sec with Linksys' 802.11G with Speedbooster wireless card and router. If security is your concern, you can set your router to allow only certain MAC addresses to connect, or you can configure WEP 64-128bit encryption. Haven't had a hitch yet.

8. JohnWill

I'd go for the CAT5e or CAT6, there really isn't much difference in price. FWIW, around here Home Depot and Lowe's both have network cable for a few cents a foot.

9. JohnWill

There are no gigaherz cables, I present this Cable Specification Chart for your enjoyment.

One only has to read the countless wireless configuration wrangles here to see that wired connections are easier to configure and get running. Wired connections also don't suffer from interference, there's plenty of issues with that problem for wireless as well.

I agree that there are situations where it's difficult to run wires, and wireless may be the best choice for those cases.

A link with all of the "turbo" features using 802.11g is still not nearly as fast as even 100MBIT connections with cable. 802.11 connections are half duplex, and unless you're right on top of the WAP, the speeds drop off rapidly. As far as WEP being secure, for a benign suburban neighborhood, it probably is. However, it's not nearly as secure as cable, and anyone with a few hours to kill can monitor a WEP connection and crack the key. Restricting MAC addresses is pretty much a waste of time if you intend to keep out even the casual hacker, MAC addresses are very easy to spoof.

10. austinguy

austinguy

http://www.altex.com/index.php?cPath=3_10_163
    One of you is lying.

Wow, you're acting like you're a Microsoft MVP or something. Okay, okay, you proved me wrong. Wired is cool, wireless sucks. Happy? :) I'm still sticking to my guns and say wireless is the way to go in his situation.

11. JohnWill

Well austinguy, you believe the one line description, and I'll believe what I've seen in numerous publications, including the reference I posted. :) I'm pretty sure your "comsumer grade" reference is trying to say that their CAT6 cable is good for gigabit Ethernet. Since gigabit uses all 8 wires, it actually doesn't need to have gigabit bandwidth, in point of fact the carrier frequency is 125mhz.

"The data signals have distinct and measurable amplitude and phases relative to a 'marker signal'. Using this two way matrix allows more data bits per cycle, in the case of Gigabit Ethernet 1000Mbps is squeezed into 125MHz signals."

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice