1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Phone freezes Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sparsons, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sparsons

sparsons Thread Starter

I have a 2.4 Ghz cordless phone plugged into an outlet in the downstairs bedroom. My computer is upstairs. When the phone rings, Windows XP professional freezes and I have to reboot and start again.

My system is as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 1600
    256 mb Kingston DDR memory
    MSI K7 Master w/AMD 761 chipset
    Seagate Barracuda IV ATA 100 40 GB hardrive, 7200 rpm
    Yamaha 3200 Lightspeed CD-R/CD-RW, 24X-10X-40X
    Toshiba CD, 8X
    1.44 Floppy
    Sound Blaster Audigy Sound Card
    Gainward GeForce 2 MX, 32 mb
    Zoom Technology, 56K Internal V.90 Modem, model 2920
    Windows XP Professional

Anyone have any ideas what might cause this?

2. Rikku

Rikku

Sounds like you need to do some troubleshooting...

First, unplug the phone line from your PC. Call yourself and see if XP continues to freeze.

If it does, then start unplugging other devices, like the mouse, keyboard, printer - anything with wires to your pc.

call yourself again and see if it freezes...

good luck!

3. sparsons

sparsons Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts!

Windows does not freeze when the phone line is disconnected from the computer.

This problem is something new since I received my new computer. My old computer (Pentium 200 Mhz, 32 MB sdram, 8 gb hardrive, intel motherboard, Windows ME) used the same Zoom modem I am using now but never froze. The new computer seems to detect or receive something when the phone rings that the old computer did not.

In addition, it only seems to be caused when the cordless phone rings. If I unplug the cordless phone, the regular corded phone rings but does not freeze windows.

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

There is some component inside your computer that is sensitive to interference from your cordless phone.

One thing to check, if you leave the handset in a different room, does it still freeze?

Have you tried changing the location of the base station to a different part of the house?

My speakers make a sound when my cell phone goes off sitting at the computer. In fact they sound before the phone actually rings. It really amazes people when I say hello before the phone rings :D

5. sparsons

sparsons Thread Starter

Well, I could not figure out what was being interfered with, so I got cable internet and solved the problem (or at least got around it).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice