1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

phone in toilet help (seriously please)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rosh325, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

As you could tell by the, what some will find, hilarious title.my cell phone did indeed fall in the toliet..i grabbed it out/took ou the battery as soon as possible,but was wondering what else, if anything can be done? Ive been drying out the phone with a hairdryer on low setting...is there anything else i should do (besides buy a new phone)?

2. *ne0n*

*ne0n*

Chances are, if the phone was on while you dropped it in, that you fried a chip and chances are it's not going to work. Water on any form of a computer usually always mean a short.

3. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

thanks neon...anyone elose have any opinions :-(

4. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Try a hardware/automotive store for some contact cleaner designed for circuit boards and take the phone apart and spray away to dispell any moisture if it`s not already fried.:confused: Good Luck !:)

5. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

so theres no way that just the battery was fried...or that hairdryer would work?

6. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

if i put the battery in and plug it into the wall....then a red light shines on the phone..but thats it

7. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Water is a great conductor so ............................buy the cleaner ( if it`s not too late ) and take apart your phone and spray it , and yes you probably need a new battery which in all likelyhood , more than a new phone .:(

8. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

alright..well i dont have a car b/c im in college......dont really know how to take it apart..but i tried...thanks anyway guys

9. *ne0n*

*ne0n*

Bah, just run a search on google.com. It's sooo easy to find just about anything on the net these days man. I suggest typing "taking+apart+cell+phone" that way it searches for pages with ALL those words, not just individual words if you would just use the space.

10. mobo

mobo

If the thing wasn't on then you'll have to get it apart somehow to dry it before it corrodes. If you do so it may live to dial another day..:D

11. moebius

moebius

i would think the phones dead. when u connect a phone to a charger, the input power from the chargaer usually goes to the battery through the phone. so, if the fone was pumping electrons, it should turn on...

when my nokia 3410 got fried at the beach, i took it over to the technician, and he unsoldered an IC which was most probably the Flash Memory, and told me that i should buy a secondhand fone, so he cud transfer the IC into it. maybe u cud get the same done if ur flash mems not fried, it will save all ur data, but ull still need a new fone...

12. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

hey all..well heres an update...now when the battery is hooked up and the charger is plugged in the phone reads charing..if i hit power..it will turn on for about a minute..then turn off and go back to "charging".....it wont do this if its unplugged (nothing happens)..does this just mean i need a new battery? My roomate has the same phone as me...can i try his battery? i juts want to make sure i wont mess up his battery by trying it in my room

13. moebius

moebius

try his battery, probably will work. and try another sim card. if ur using cdma that duznt apply 2u
    his battery will most probably be ok. ;). u shud get ur data saved if u had nething imp. in there... ur phones probably gone, but u shud check just in case.

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Since you are in college, I'll correct the spelling of the thread title for you...............

hopefully your parents are paying too much :D

15. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

lol..thanks for the title correction....worked my a$$ off for scholarships. I'll try his battery, what is a sim card? It's a sanyo8100

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice