1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Phone Line Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bamal, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bamal

bamal Thread Starter

I have an AMD Athlon 1700, 40gb HD, 512 Mb Ram and a laptop with AMD K6-2 466, 6gb HD, 192 Mb Ram. The Athlon is the server. Both are running Win XP Pro. I installed a Linksys USB200HA phone line network and ran the XP Network Wizard. I can transfer files, share folders and printers with no problem, but I cannot access the Internet from the laptop. I get, "page cannot be displayed". Everything was working great for about a month and then one day the Internet was not available. There was no HW or SW changes done to either machine before the problem started.

Thanks

2. bluemike

bluemike

Do you have a dial-up connection? Many ISP's won'y allow Internet sharing, if they can detect it. Does each machine have it's own IP? Is the server also acting as a router?

3. bamal

bamal Thread Starter

It is a Cable access with an ethernet modem. Each machine does have it's own IP address and the server is acting as a router.

4. alex2029

alex2029

Are you by any chance using the Linksys PCM200HA laptop network card ? If you are then try removing the card while the laptop is on and then plug it back in and restart the computer.

I also have a Phoneline network at home and I use my Win XP laptop downstairs to access the internet. 99% of the time it works fine, but sometimes I also can't access the internet so I do the procedure above and it works fine after that.

BTW Are you also using a phoneline router ? You may need to include a dedicated router in your setup to maintain the sharing of internet access.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice