1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Phone Rings I Lose Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sidbub, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

Here's a weird one. I am using a Netgear WG602 access point connected to my DSL through a Linksys RPT300 VOIP router. On my remote computer I am using a Netgear WG111 wireless adapter. All works fine but when my home phone rings, it seems to knock out my connection to the access point. I then have to reconnect. Don't know if it makes any difference but I am on channel 11 on the wireless adapter. Thoughts?

sidbub

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Change the channel broadcast by the access point until this no longer happens. Its the 2.4 ghz interfernace causing the problem.

3. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

I'm not sure hot to do that. I am somewhat new to wireless networking.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

You use your web browser to access the access point via its documentation (usually 192.168.1.245 or something like that) then once in there should be a channel setting. Change it.

There are multiple versions of this so you have to pick the right one. In there is the documentation you need. Either this or supply us with the version of your access point.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WG602.asp

5. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

Thanks StumpedTechy, I will try that. I have it's IP address.

6. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Do you have filters plugged into each of your phones/faxes but not the DSL modem?

7. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

Not on all the phones. Should I put filters on all of them?

8. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

Seems the only way to get into the Netgear access point is to hard wire it to my non-remote computer. Other possible solutions; change the 2.4Ghz phones in the house to either 5.8Ghz or 900Mhz.

9. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

That might be it. I'm no expert but I think you're supposed to have filters on each phone.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You most certainly need filters on EVERY telephone device except the DSL modem. In truth, even with filters, you can have issues with some home wiring. For a real fix.

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco service entrance. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.

11. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

Thanks JohnWill. I will look into a DSL splitter. Do I do this through my phone company and if so, are they the ones who install it?

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can install interior wiring yourself, it's not that difficult. You can have a 3rd party do the job too. I suspect the most expensive option would be the phone company. :) Check the Hometech site: and look for the 649A-1 Economy DSL POTS Splitter, it'll do the job. Then you just need some CAT3 or better twisted pair cable to run to the DSL modem directly from the splitter.

13. sidbub

sidbub Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your input. I will look into that.

14. golddust

golddust

Yes, you need a filter on every phone that uses that number.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice