Phone to computer photo transfer

alwrmc

B.L.
Not sure which forum this "should" go in, it seems appropriate for several to me.
I have a phone, Motorola MZ4 that has a lot of photos on it. When I connect that phone to my computer, the computer makes the audible connected signal but the phone does not show up in my directory connections listing. I have managed to have it show up on two occasions but when I click on it to see the photo folder/files it shows as empty.
I believe both the phone and the computer have all the file sharing properly set.
We have two other phones that connect promptly, my GoPros connect, my wife and I both have cameras that connect correctly. This phone has photos that I would like to download to the computer.
It was taken to the Verizon dealer who manipulated it for a couple of minutes, gave it back and said that he had unlocked something (don't know what) and that it should appear on the computer now.....it does not.
It is being connected with the appropriate USB cable.
The computer has Windows 10, latest (as of July 1st) updates installed.

It depends on phone, but usually there is specific software which is needed on PC in addition to USB connection.

It could be photos are on phone memory stick (SD card) which is not visible.

Otherwise if you have a laptop, transfer images using bluetooth.

I don'y have a fix for the physical connection.....BUT, I do have a work around for you. I prefer this method.

Since this is an android phone, it should have Google Photos on it and you should be signed in to your phone with an email account like [email protected].

On you PC, if you don't have Google Chrome the browser, download it and install it. With Chrome open, up in the right corner you see a box of dots, 9 to be exact. Click on that and scroll down to Photo's. Click on that and click go to Photos. Then sign in with your Google account credentials. Now you should see all your photos that were saved on your phone. Then download as any and all photos you want.

I have a iphone 6 and installed Google Photos on my phone. So when I take a picture with my phone it's saved natively to the iphone photo app as well as Google photo app. If I want to download a photo on my PC from my phone I do as mentioned above. It's just faster and easier....IMO.

plodr

Liz
when I click on it to see the photo folder/files it shows as empty.
If you have a micro sd card in the phone for storage, that's where you'll find your photos.
I made the mistake a few times of connecting the phone, opening the DCIM folder and camera and finding it empty. I finally remembered to expand Card rather than phone. Expanded that DCIM folder and then camera and there were my pictures.

alwrmc

B.L.
NOTHING shows except the name of the phone (Motorola MZ4) when that shows up at all, as I stated in my original post.
I have found a Motorola driver on the Motorola website and have D/L'd and installed it. The phone however belongs to my cousin so until we get together again I cannot test the driver to see if that solves the problem.

Is the phone unlocked? I have found out that you have to unlock the phone for the PC to show files on it.

Once you unlock the phone you might have to change the USB mode. A friend with a Motorola phone always has to do this. His phones USB mode always defaults to charge mode. It needs to be changed to another mode for example "Connected to a media device". See the example below...

moto z4 - Move Pictures / Videos from Device
https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-226054/

alwrmc

B.L.
Thanks MisterEd51, I've passed that on to my cousin and her hubby (their phones). When we get together again We'll try that one out also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online