1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

phone wire as network wire

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mphair, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mphair

mphair Thread Starter

what makes cat5 cable cat5 cable? as i understand it, it is just 8 normal wires that are jacked in a certain order to allow data transfer. so would it be possible to jack one rj45 jack onto the end of two clipped and stripped rj11 sized phone cables?
    logically it seems like it should work...but when i attempted it, it was extremely slow. I was using very very old phone wire so maybe the quality of the wires had something to do with the slowness.
    any thoughts on the subject?
    -mphair

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

There are a number of twists that have to be done to each pair in order for it to pass good signal. Phone cords are not held to the same standards thus what probably resulted in the slowness.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

POTS wiring can be used for 10mbit Ethernet, it was pretty common in the 80's. OTOH, there's no way you'll get anything close to the speed that modern networks require using it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/453966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice