1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PhoneTray, your opinions?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Phantom010, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

Like many of you, I'm sure, I'm getting really fed up with phone telemarketing. :mad: I'm looking for a way to block incoming calls on my home phone. I've seen a few devices on the Internet, like Call ID Manager but since it's discontinued, I can only assume it was ineffective or a scam.

I've also read about software like PhoneTray. I have no idea if it really works though. I do know you need a 56K modem for the software to work. Unfortunately, most new computers nowadays don't come with a modem, like mine. Is PhoneTray worth buying a modem? My phone line is connected to a high speed cable modem from my ISP.

Thanks for your input. :)

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What country are you in? The United States has this thing called the Do Not Call registry. I don't receive many marketing calls. The few I do are from companies I made the mistake of giving my real phone number out to.

Non-profits, charities, and political parties (I believe) don't have to follow those rules. Also, if you currently have a relationship with a company, they can call you as well. Comcast is notorious for this.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

3. Phantom010

I've already added my phone number to the Do Not Call Registry. I'm still getting too many unsolicited [​IMG]phone calls...

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

From who? If you're getting legitimate calls, you have to address those differently, and software isn't going to do it. If you're being called by scammers and thieves, then you have a whole other set of problems.

5. raybro

raybro

Regarding the Do not Call Registry. It does work pretty well, but I have found one must re-register every once in a while for it to be effective for new telemarketing calls. I've done this 3 times so far.

6. Phantom010

I'm getting surveys, offers from banks (insurances), offers from phone companies, ISPs, whatever... I don't care who's not bound to the Do Not Call Registry rules. I don't want any of them bothering me. There is software to block 800, 866... numbers.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you block all toll free numbers, you could easily block a company you do business with from contacting you for legitimate purposes. If your number has been on the Do Not Call registry for a while, then you shouldn't be receiving telemarketing calls from companies you do not do business with.

I suggest you evaluate the calls a bit more closely.

8. Phantom010

I know what you mean, DH. However, through the years, I have found those "legitimate purposes" to be not so legitimate to me... When calling me, 99% of the time, those companies are offering some new products and services (never free either...). So, for the remaining 1% of possible "legitimate purposes", they can send me a letter by mail! Most toll free numbers are from telemarketers anyway...

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You may find the calls annoying, but they may not be illegal. If you attempt to block them, you'll also end up blocking legitimate calls. So, for example, if your credit card company is trying to offer you a balance transfer deal, and you block their calls, you will not receive a call from them about unauthorized use.

I receive very, very, very few sales calls. If you're receiving a significant amount, then they're either illegal or from companies with loose privacy policies. Taking the shotgun approach of blocking all toll free numbers is likely to cause serious problems with missed legitimate calls.

10. Phantom010

We're obviously not going to agree on this... :D But point well taken. :)

I'm willing to take my chances. I have caller ID on my phones, like most of us. I almost never answer when I see those toll free numbers anyway. But, they're still very annoying, especially when you're having diner! What makes them even less legitimate to me is that 99.9% of the time, they don't leave any messages on my answering machine. So, if the call is indeed important, they'll leave a message, at least to ask me to call them back... The calls are mostly made from computers waiting for an answer on your part. When bothering me, have at least the decency to do it with a real person! :mad: Sometimes, when really fed up, I'll pick up and hang up right away. The computer may interprete it as an answered call and a negative response on my part. That will often stop the calls from that particular caller.

We're getting a little off track here. :)

Any positive or negative impressions on PhoneTray?

11. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

phantom,
    wanted to say thank you for finding the app you were asking about, it WORKS, or, at least i haven't found any problems with it YET :)
    i'd been using analogx caller id, it's ok, but this app seems to have the missing pieces that others seem to lack,

AnalogX CallerID v1.02 by AnalogX
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/System/callerid/Freeware.htm
    pretty much just a caller id viewer for the pc
    says it has a call log, BUT, every restart of the pc cleared the log, did not find any easy way in the app for the list to be exportable to another app to be savable, [notepad or such].

Call Alert! v1.0 beta 2 by IVR Software
    http://www.ivrsoft.com/call-alert.htm
    pretty much just a caller id viewer for the pc
    does have a "white list" to let calls through, and a "black list" to block calls

PhoneTray Free v1.39 by TraySoft Inc.
    http://www.phonetray.com/ptfree_download.htm
    - has a LOT of useful features, making it more than just a caller id readout for the pc
    - good interface - making it an 'easy-to-use' application
    - supports ALL the oses from w98 through w7, [i found it to actually work with them! (y) ]
    - seems to be a very well SUPPORTED application, [compared to some softwares anymore that are just "thrown together" and let the public be their beta testers
    - even have their own drivers available for download FROM THEIR SITE for specific problems you may encounter, [a REAL plus]
    - ample number of pre-recorded wave files included for ring-tones
    - as well as for the "zapping" of the unwanted ones
    - the sounds ARE wave files, so if you want other sounds, just drop them into the app's folder and choose them in the interface
    - lets you add individual numbers and your choices of action for that number
    - doesn't seem to be a 'resource-hog'

cons i found:
    - no choice of start-up time - just starts with windows, rather than letting you start it later
    - you DO have to spend some time to "train" it - for your choices of action on the numbers
    - and to be REALLY picky, it's 'full-screen' window doesnt remember size or placement on the monitor :D

NOTE:
    i am not an emplyee, YET, :D :p

12. Phantom010

Seems all of those programs require a 56K modem. :(

Sure would like to be able to try the programs before purchasing a modem.

I'd like to find one that would work with my cable modem.

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Nothing will work with your cable modem. Even if you have VOIP service, the calls are answered with telephones.

14. Phantom010

Guess not, but hey, they can go to the moon or send a probe to Mars, so it should be something easy to invent... :D

15. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

I'll contact NASA for you- I'll use my charm ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice